Suggestions for 2 days overnight from Sydney?

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for 2 days overnight from Sydney?

We are considering renting a car and doing a 3-day drive (2 nights) out of Sydney
and back. I've just started to seek suggestions, so at this point I have no idea about which direction to head: north, south, west?

Travel is first week of May, so would appreciate hearing about
intersting places, towns, attractions you suggest that
are worthwhile doing within the limited time.

Also, any help about driving and renting cars there is
also apprecaited.

Thanks
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 03:06 AM

Hi,

Any direction would be good - east would be Blue Mts; North to the Hunter Valley; south to Jervis Bay, maybe.

That's the easy part - a broad brush approach - cos, of course, they are all major and well known destinations. And they can all be got to one way; and got back from another way. Is that important to you? I hate retracing my steps!!

So - you could go up to Katoomba on the GT Western Highway; stay there or wherever takes your fancy in the "Blue Mts" for a couple of nights. Then on day 3 drive down over the "other side". There is quite a nice trip from Mt Victoria, down to Hartley; then via some backroads (a little dirt) back to the road linking Bell and Mt Victoria; then come back to Sydney on the amazingly named "Bell's Line of Road".
In May you could stop off at Mt Wilson where there are some lovely gardens open to the public. And the drive up there is pretty spectacular. The drive back into Sydney is heavy going, though, especially for a visitor.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/New-South...500197704.html

It's difficult to make a leisurely 3 day trip East from Sydney on a bigger loop - check a road map and you will see why.

Or you could do up to Blue Mts; then retrace steps half way back; and take road to Hunter Valley via Wiseman's Ferry. Return to Sydney on the freeway.

Or you could drive straight over the Blue Mts and out to somewhere like Mudgee, and, with a few detours, visit some of the old gold mining towns on the way. But with only 3n days you would have to come back the way you came, I think.

I guess I should have asked what your interests are? And are you happy just driving across foreign territory?

Anyway. There's some thoughts to be going on with. And I look forward to replies from anyone who knows the lie of the land really well who may offer roads even less travelled.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:58 AM

I'd recommend going to Canberra. It's an easy 3-hour drive from Sydney and, despite what some people say, it's easy driving around town--mainly because there are so few cars on the road.
There's lots to see and do in Canberra. First are the excellent museums--the National Gallery of Australia, the Australian War Memorial, the National Museum of Australia, Questacon, the National Science Museum--as well as the unique Parliament House and Old Parliament House. All of these have free admission except for Questacon and Old Parliment House (which only charges AU$2.) There are excellent free tours of Parliament House and Old Parliament House and if you'd like to watch Australian politicians go after each other, arrange for free tickets to Question Time. (It was a lot of fun to watch even though I didn't know the issues they were getting worked up about.)
Canberra also has some excellent restaurants which won't break the bank. Just take a stroll through the part of town in South Canberra called Manuka and you'll find a lot of good places to choose from. Also, afternoon tea at the Historic Hyatt Hotel in central Canberra is a treat. They put on quite a spread and it's reasonably priced.
If you enjoy history, take a tour of Lanyon Homestead for a look at life in the 1800's. And go to the site of the Honeysuckle Tracking Station in Namadji National Park to learn about its close connection to the U.S. space program and moon landing.
If you love the outdoors and wildlife, Canberra is the place to be. There are two excellent places to go hiking and view wildlife right on the outskirts of Canberra--Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve and Namadji National Park. If you go do the Yankee Hat Hike in Namadji (stop at the Visitor's Center for a map and directions), I can promise that you will be hiking amongst hundreds of kangaroos. It's an easy 6km hike RT and midway is a rock with Aboriginal drawings on it. There's hardly anyone ever out there, especially midweek, so it's so serene and quiet.
Finally, since it will be autumn in May, I imagine the leaves will be changing and you can see something that's not normally seen in most Australian cities--fall colors. Take a drive up to the top of Red Hill for a spectacular view of the city with all the colorful leaves.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Bookmarking
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:08 PM

What about Canberra, and then escapring to the south coast, and back to Sin City that way?
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks for the good ideas. I'll take a closer look at the places and routes you suggested. Too much to see and too little time. I'l try to fit in as much as I can.

I'll also be driving around Ayers Rock and Perth area, so will probably have more questions about those areas too after I do some searching here.

Thanks again