Search

Trip-planning dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:01 PM
gbs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip-planning dilemma

I am having some trouble figuring out an itinerary for an 11-day trip in early May. We will be arriving in Sydney & will be exploring the city and probably the Blue Mountains. We will be visiting daughter in area, so will not be taking the time to visit GBR this time. What are some other
suggestions for sight-seeing and exploring within driving distance of Sydney for this length of stay? It is our 1st visit to the country and really have no idea of how to get a good perspective of the country given our time limitations.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:25 PM

I'd be inclined to do a loop trip that takes in the Blue Mountains, Canberra, back to the South Coast and then to Sydney - presuming you can cope with driving on the left. It's probably take, say, 5 days or so, but you see some of the countryside, the national capital (Canberra), some of the coast and then back in Sydney.

None of the driving is difficult, the roads won't be crowded - and there's plenty of things to see (Parliament House - and one of the "big" things - the Big Merino on Goulburn comes to mind )

Avoid driving in Sydney - traffic is unpleasant and parking is expensive. Public transport is quite good.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:10 PM

I agree with Margo's suggestion and will just add a few more specifics. The Blue Mts are beautiful and definitely worth a day or two exploring away from the main touristy area around Katoomba - e.g., Govets Leap and the Megalong Valley. Jenolan Caves in the western part of Blue Mts are a must. Lots of interesting things to see in Canberra - again a couple of days would not be a bad idea. The National Art Gallery, War Memorial, the embassies, Parliament House, and several great lookouts (Mt Ainslie and Black Mt/ Telstra Tower) to name a few. On the way back to Sydney, you could head down to the coast (via Braidwood and Batemans Bay), or stay inland and tour the Southern Highlands, a beautiful area just SE of Sydney - places like Bungonia Gorge, Fitzroy Falls and Kangaroo Valley come to mind. Even closer to Sydney, in the south is the Royal Nat'l Park, and the fabulous view over Woolongong from the Bulli Lookout. Whichever way you do it, my suggestion is to stray from the main roads (such as the Hume Hwy) as much as you can to get a good feel for the country and even see some of the famous wildlife along the way.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:38 PM
gbs
Original Poster

These are some great suggestions, thanks for taking the time. Driving on the left shouldn't be too much of a problem - if we can survive a few weeks in Ireland, I'm sure we can mangage there. I guess the caveat is to not rent the car for our time in Sydney.....
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:01 PM

If you are staying out at Macquarie you might be well placed to rent a car.However if you are in central sydney then a car may be more of a hindrance than a help.

How is your daughter doing?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:01 PM

I wrote a reply that seems to have disappeared into cyberspace, but Margo and Ralph have pretty much covered my ground anyway. If time permitted you could consider driving down the NSW South Coast as far as Merimbula, then cutting back to Canberra via Bega and Cooma - that would take in a variety of coastal, mountain and inland-plains landscapes.

For visitors, a car in Sydney is neither necessary nor desirable. Traffic is generally heavy and public transport will get you anywhere you want to go. Outside Sydney you shouldn't have a problem.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:37 PM
gbs
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I really think my next step is to get a much better map of NSW so I can figure out what everyone is talking about!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:49 PM

http://www.travelmate.com.au/MapMaker/MapMaker.asp