Search

Home based trip Sydney Central West Canberra

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home based trip Sydney Central West Canberra

Hi
We live in Sydney and have just realised that among our numerous maps we don't have even one of NSW so have decided to spend a week to two weeks late September getting to know our home State.

We thought we might head through the Blue Mountains towards Mudgee taking in Cowra ( for the japance gardens spring festival) then to Canberra(floriade) and back to Sydney.

We like sightseeing, old buildings, local shops and eateries, walking (without serious hiking), wine, music.

Any suggestions for sightseeings, activities and accommodations?
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 05:07 AM

If you're going to be in Canberra for Floriade, I'd suggest a drive out to Namadgi National Park for some walking (not serious hiking). Stop by the Visitor's Center for some maps and directions. Our favorite walk has always been the Yankee Hat Walking Track--an easy 6km RT stroll out to a rock with Aboriginal paintings. We enjoyed seeing all the kangaroos out there and the various birds. We were often the only ones out there (especially midweek) and loved having all the open space and beautiful scenery to ourselves.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 07:46 AM

We drove out to the Warrumbungle Ranges (~150 km NNW of Mudgee) a few years ago. We stayed in nearby Coonabarabran. It was a lot of fun - a beautiful area, lots of wildlife. We did the spectacular Grand High Tops hike - pretty easy now that they have installed stairways on the steeper sections to prevent erosion. A fantastic view. Plus there's the Siding Spring Observatory: quite interesting.

Some links (note Breadknife Picture is from the Grand High Tops):

http://us.sydney.com/area/Warrumbung...Surrounds.aspx

http://us.sydney.com/town/Coonabarabran.aspx

http://us.sydney.com/town/Coonabarab...tory/info.aspx

Longhorn: I'll keep your suggestion in mind next time I get out to Canberra, my stomping ground for 3 years while I was at the ANU. I can remember climbing Mt Gudgenby, looking over to Yankee Hat mountain, and ever since wondering how that place name originated.

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Sprig is a very good time to visit the National Botanic Gardens at the foot of Black Mountain, a huge repository of Australian native plants divided into microclimatic regions, rainforest included.

You might also be interested in a minor but interesting attraction, the Calthorpe House, a perfectly preserved early (1920s) Canberra house in the California Bungalow style. It's in Mugga Way, Red Hill -check openng times.

There are all the usual suspects, of course, like the Australian War Memorial and National Museum - you should find them all, with other info, at www.visitcanberra.com.au.

It's also worthwhile to stop off at the tourist information centre on your way in to Canberra. It's on Northbourne Avenue (which is a continuation of the Federal Highway), on your left just past the first major intersection you'll strike.

The best eating districts are in the inner areas of Manuka (just east of Capital Hill, off Canberra Avenue) and Dickson (3 km north of Civic, the city centre - Dickson is by way of being Canberra's Chinatown). Civic itself is improving in this respect - check out the colonnaded Sydney and Melbourne buildings on either side of Norhbourne Avenue, especially the West Row frontage.

The local wine industry has made great strides in recent years, if that interests you.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you -great ideas so far and reflecting our interests.

Any thoughts regarding Central tablelands?
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 09:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think the area beyond the Blue Mountains has a wonderful charm, and beginning (particularly over the last 5 years or so) to recognize and promote its local produce with some excellent restaurants and the farm-gate scheme.http://www.visitnsw.com/town/Windsor...rail/info.aspx

If you happen to go to Orange, I can recommend Cotehele in Anson Street as a place to stay. Originally the Magistrate's home, it's a lovely B & B run by a gracious & charming owner. Next door is a great restaurant - Selkirks(or was, I think it may have new owners since I was there last).
This link also gives some wineries, restaurants etc.
http://www.winesoforange.com.au/accom.htm

Mudgee is gorgeous - and the surrounding countryside will remind you of Chianti if you've been there.
Like Orange, it's an area with a history of considerable wealth and the streets,gardens, some remaining public buildings and a number of old country houses reflect this feeling of substance.

You're going at a great time as the gardens everywhere will be in Spring flower.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM

certainly Neil himself must number among the major attractions in Canberra imho
chers
AndrewDavid
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM

Smooth talker, AD... but I'm keeping a low profile so as not to alarm unwary visitors.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 08:01 AM
SnR

Don't forget a stop in Goulburn to see the Big Merino!!!
Sally in Seattle
p.s. I second AD's suggestion to see Neil. Very informative and helpful. Hi, Neil!
p.s.s. Floriade was quite impressive. We also enjoyed the Australian National Museum while in Canberra. It has an interesting "history wall" that details, with artifacts, the major historical events of modern Australian history, plus some interesting Aborigine displays. Although living in Sydney it might not have the same impact as on Americans. . . since you have the museums of Sydney at your fingertips.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Hi, Sally.

I think the National Museum is definitely worth a visit by Sydneysiders - it's quite different to any of the Sydney museums.

Ah, yes - I'd forgotten the Big Merino, a.k.a. "Rambo". Australia is plagued by Big Things, my favourite being the Big Mango in Bowen, Qld, which to the distress of the populace was, I understand, installed upside down. Although why that would matter with a mango I'm not sure.