Stopover on the way home from New Zealand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be spending most of November in New Zealand for work, and am planning a holiday at the end of November/early December. My flights from North America to New Zealand are paid for, and I'm likely permitted a stopover on the way home. I'm planning on spending about 4-5 days on the South Island, 4-5 days on the "Boomerang" in Australia (I have friends in Melbourne, and I haven't seen Sydney). To simplify the "work expenses" versus "personal holiday" element, I'm thinking of flying to and from Oz on my own coin, and then heading for home from Wellington or Auckland. Any suggestions for a stopover: Fiji and Hawaii seem like possibilities, but I'll be arriving at the beginning of December, which looks like the rainy season. The whole point of the stopover would be to soak up some hot sun in a tropical environment (with some diving thrown in). If I only spend a few days in my stopover location, where am I most likely to catch good weather - on a convenient path home from NZ? Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

I'm topping myself, but I really need the advice ... Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 10:50 AM

I don't know about Fiji, but Waikiki Beach has no rainy season. I think the average rainfall on Waikiki is about 2 inches. Since you're going between Thanksgiving and Christmas you may even get a discount on your hotel. We usually stay in Maui over that period at the Kulakane and the rate is discounted 30%. Aloha
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 03:22 PM

stop over at the Cooks. wonderful place with great diving, especially aitutaki. and best of all, you can still use dem NZ dollars. you can get a lot more for your money there than hawaii, french polynesia or fiji.

or stop off in hawaii and see dem whales

&gt
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Hi, I will second the motion for the Cooks. Not only will your dollar go farther but it is an incredible place. We spent three weeks there and loved every moment. The snorkeling is fantastic and the people were awesome. It is very quiet compared to Hawaii but I would say it wins hands down on almost everything. Wendy
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Quiet is fine with me, but what's the weather like in late November-early December? I'll only be there for a couple of days, and it would be a drag to get completely rained out.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:36 AM

Hi, We were there in Jan and Feb and it was very warm and humid. I believe that in Nov it would be the start of the summer and very nice. We did get some rain but they were brief showers and so warm that we never even bothered to come in out of the rain. Wendy
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Kate-are you talking about a stopover in addition to going to Australia? Fiji was nice and convenient-just fly into Nadi and go from there. But I am writing b/c you must go to Sydney! I just got home from a month in NZ and time in Melbourne and Syd, and I am just dying to go back. It is an amazing city with heaps to do,and the weather should be nice in Dec. as it's summer during that time. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

I'm definitely stopping in Sydney. My stopover in Sydney on the way home from Melbourne this year coincided with the end of the drought - nonstop sheets of rain forecast for three days - so I missed Sydney and went home early.

Further research suggests that an alternative to Fiji or Hawaii or the Cook Islands would be the Whitsunday Islands (and then fly home from Sydney).