Staying in the Cook Islands

Nov 9th, 2001, 08:15 AM
pat

Staying in the Cook Islands

I posted this before and got no response. So I will try again. I want to go to the Cook Islands and stay on the Muri Beach side of Rarotonga. I have a limited budget, so don`t want to spend a fortune, but don`t want to stay in a dump either. Suggestions? Thanks!

Nov 9th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Peggy

Try Muri Beachcomber. The garden rooms whcih still have full kitchens at Pacific Resort I believe are reasonable.
There are backpacker type places but don't know if that is what you are looking for. Try to go to Aitutaki, it is awesome.

Nov 9th, 2001, 03:46 PM
pat

Thakk you Peggy. We will try the Muri Beachcomber and the Pacific resort. No, Im not interested in hostels. And yes, we do plan on a day trip to Aitutaki. I have found some pretty good deals in the Costco booklet.

Nov 13th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Peggy

You will love the Cooks. Very easy island to get around & feel comfortable in. Groceries are expensive, canned goods best at large market north of airport. Fruits best at small stands around the island. Sails restaurant on Muri beach is good & Ronnies in town, also Portofinos for Italian. Viama's used to be good but hear it has changed hands so not sure now. Pearl Beach Resort on Aitutaki is fantastic. Day snorkle trips leave from there. Great lagoon. Have fun!

Nov 13th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Toronto Kiwi

My wife and I visited the Cooks in 1984, nearly 20 years ago. I thought that the people there were the nicest people in the world. I hope that things haven't changed. Enjoy!

Nov 14th, 2001, 07:34 PM
Jackie

I stayed at the Muri Beachcomber in May and loved it. The owners are very nice. If you can at all afford it, go to Aitutaki for at least a few days..The Pearl Beach resort is wonderful!

Nov 19th, 2001, 08:46 PM
Lynda

Have been to the Cooks a few times, the most recent was last Christmas. Always stayed at Muri Beachcomber and loved it. You might want to try some new cottages that were just built last year. One of the guests at Muri Beachcomber had spent a few days here and loved it. The resort is SunHaven - it is near the Rarotongan Resort. The four cottages are right on the beach. Web site is:
http://www.ck/sunhaven/
If you have any more questions, just sent me an email. Hope this helps.

Nov 20th, 2001, 10:51 PM
sonia

This is a message for Jackie who posted a week or so ago here...

I am planning my wedding at Aitutaki Pearl Beachand would love to hear more about your thoughts and opinions on it. I have picked poor Peggy's brains to pieces about it already but would love to hear more views!

Email or post me!

Many thanks

Nov 21st, 2001, 05:41 PM
Peggy

Sonia, Make sure you tell us of your plans once they are completed! I have a new e-mail address I listed just in case!
Good luck.

Nov 28th, 2001, 08:52 PM
Jackie

Dear Sonia,
I loved the Pearl Beach Resort on Aitutaki. It is beautiful and peaceful, on it`s own small islet connected to the mainland by a footbridge. I drove around the island, and the lagoon area at this resort is the best. It definitely would be my first choice of accommodations on the island. I only wish I had stayed longer than 3 nights. Whatever you do, be sure to take the lagoon cruise...it is breathtaking!

Dec 30th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Bob Schuman

Hi Pat,

We visited Rarotonga a few years ago and loved the place. Our motel was the Little Polynesian right on the lagoon. We liked the place so much we did a web site for them. It's at:
http://www.cyberactivesites.com/littlepoly.html
Nothing fancy and no restaurant but a wonderful place to get away from it all.
Best wishes for a fabulous trip.

Bob

Jan 3rd, 2002, 10:43 AM
ALF

We stayed at Aroko Bungalows, a 10-minute walk south of Muri Beach. We rented a nicely-appointed bungalow, right on the coastline, and were quite happy with it, particularly the kitchen, which allowed us to cook meals instead of going out all the time. There are a few more bungalows right behind the two coastline ones, and they are a bit cheaper.