Search

South Australian Travels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Australian Travels

HELP! My sister and I are traveling all around Australia and New Zealand. We start of in Brisbane to Sydney to New Zealand and then start at Melbourne when we get back to Australia. Our plan from there is to spend two days in Melbourne then head towards the outback. We want to spend a night in Coober Pedy's Underground Hotel, go on a tour through the outback and head up to Alice Springs where we would "ride a camel to dinner." We will then adventure off to Cairns and then back to Brisbane to fly home. Any suggestions on how to travel from city to city?

This was our plan:
Melbourne to Adelaide to Coober Pedy to Ayer's Rock to Alice Springs to Cairns to Brisbane.

We are thinking of cutting out Adelaide and going straight from Melbourne to Coober Pedy.

THANK YOU!

PS What is the best way to see the outback/bush!?
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 02:19 AM

I don't think you can go "straight from Melbourne to Coober Pedy" without your own wheels, and it would be a hell of a long drive.

There are some interesting ways to get from ADL to Alice to Cairns without flying, and without your own wheels, and see lots on the way, if that's what you want. If so post again.

How much time do you have?

The "best way to see the bush" is open to so many interpretions. What is "best" depends on time and money.

Cheers.

Old Jul 16th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you.

So basically we are now just looking for a cheap flight ($400 or so) from Alice Springs to ANYWHERE!!!!! Why so expensive?
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:09 PM

Why so expensive?

No competition; very long distances; no population - there's a big load of nothing between Alice Springs and anywhere.

Where are you from?

Distances are enormous here - and population away from the coastal strip almost negligible. Roads are not brilliant either!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 01:36 AM

Hello again,

For $500 you could get to Cairns from Alice like this:

http://www.desertventurer.com.au/ali...to-cairns.html

You did ask about the "best way to see the outback" and IMHO something like this is IT!!

Mile after mile of emptiness; small towns; a country pub, a working cattle station, some "red rock" scenery, et al. The only thing it doesn't offer is camping under the stars in total darkness.

I did this trip in the other direction three years ago.

Recommended.