Search

snorkeling on GBR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Tonja

snorkeling on GBR

I'm looking for suggestions on the best islands to visit in the Great Barrier Reef area. We like to snorkel and sunbathe. There's so many I can't choose. My husband and I don't have children so we would like to stay someplace that won't be loaded with them. Clear blue waters and wonderful beaches any suggestions? thanks

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 04:51 PM
margo

Tonja<BR><BR>A good question, but there's no clear answer.<BR><BR>A lot depends on your budget. Additionally, most of the Barrier Reef islands are not exactly on the reef.<BR><BR>Heron Island, off Gladstone, is on thge reef, and has a range of accommodation.<BR><BR>Green Island, off Cairns, has some snorkelling off the beach around the island, but is big with daytrippers, as it's only about an hour from Cairns. Has accommodation.<BR><BR>Daydream, South Molle, etc., have limited snorkelling on the island, but you get get boats out to the reef.<BR><BR>Lizard and Hayman are more upmarket and may be the best way to avoid children. Another option is Port Douglas, where you can get boats out to a variety of snorkelling spots. Some of the smaller boats go to relatively undisturbed spots.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 09:43 PM
LizF

If you want to get away from families I would try Hinchinbrook Island where the number of people are restricted anyway - Hayman which is more upmarket, Lizard Island or as previously suggested Port Douglas and take boats out to the reef. I would tend to stay away from those Islands like South Mole and Daydream, and certainly Green Island because too many get there for the day. <BR>HTP

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Dick

Liz is right about Green Island.<BR><BR>My wife and I stayed on Green Island because we got a "super deal" for a suite. It was the only regret we had in all of the accomodations during 3 weeks in Oz and New Zealand.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Louise

Hello, Tonja - our favorite place to snorkel is the GBR. We have been to quite a few of the islands and for the snorkeling would pick Lizard Island. Although we have not stayed there, we have snorkeled there. The last two trips we chose to cruise for 7 days from Cairns to Thursday Island. The catamaran stops at 6 spots along the reef to snorkel - it is called the Kangaroo Explorer. This might not be your "cup of tea" as the sunbathing on a beach wouldn't apply. Heron Island would be my second choice although it is pretty crowded for my taste.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 02:00 PM
TC

We chose a Coral Princess 3 day cruise of the GBR. It was the best way to see several different reefs plus lots of islands. Snorkling could not have been better, beach bar-b-ques etc. were a lot of fun. The small ship holds only about 50 people - no children on our cruise. The food was great, the staff is delightful and the suites are quite nice for this sort of thing. Its not terribly high-brow, but loads of fun. I'm sure they have a web site.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Shirley

Hi Tonja:<BR>My husband and stayed on Heron Island Nov. last year and loved it. It is right on the reef which meant that you could walk out your room and right on the the reef. The water is awesome and we the beaches are great with lots of private spots! Although there were familes there, there isn't alot for children to do so I don't think that is a destination of choice for those with young children. I would go back in an instant.<BR>Shirley

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Ally

Yes, why not sail the GBR? My husband and I sailed on The Sydney Sundancer. It's a 54' sailboat that only takes 6 passengers. There was only one other couple, plus John, the Captian and Lynne his wife who is the cook and 'islands/sealife/shell' expert when we sailed with them. It is THE way to see the GBR and Whitsunday Islands. Excellent, excellent trip. Check out their website, http://www.luxuryyacht.com.au/holidays/holidays.htm <BR>It's even better than it looks!