Search

smoko pie

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Bill

smoko pie

Thanks for all the info on this forum, particularly about racing and the big dog/smoko pie advice. When I get to au I will do like in other countries. Keep my stars &amp; stripes pin under my lapel and, when I do something stupid, say &quot;Sorry, so sorry&quot; with a British accent.<BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Graeme

Tip a few winners and you will have lots of mates.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Pete

Bill, I was wondering why you would want to keep your Stars and stripes pin under your lapel and also why you would want to spek with a British accent.<BR>Pete

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Bill

<BR>So as not to wave my flag around in a foreign country but still keeping it close to my heart.<BR><BR>The accent only when I goof up. Not that the locals in Kyoto, Buenos Aires, or Istanbul, etc knew the difference, but just in case, I preferred to be seen as a stupid Brit. I suppose that I'll be a bit more talkative with y'all, so that strategy probably won't give any cover.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Pete

I got to reply to this. Much and all as I do not want to be seen talking to a man who is so unpolitically correct that he would dare refer to the Brits as Stupid. lol<BR>Wow !!!! what a Statement. Watch the arrows fly after that one. lol.<BR>Now before the arrows begin to fly at me, I am not agreeing with this person from the US who sounds a bit texan actually. But then on the other hand Im not disagreeing either. Stupid is a really strong word in this country Bill.<BR>You can get away with calling some one a P...K AS SOME ONE CALLED ME in this room lol. and you can even get away with calling some one an idiot !!! as some one did ole Alan. But I do not think you will get away with calling the britts Stupid. lol<BR>Lets just sit back and see what happens. No one mention the cricket at this point please. lol<BR>What ever does happen Bill !!! you continue to put that little stars and stripes pin on top of the Lapel.<BR>Thats where it belongs. Continue to wave that flag as well. And, be proud of it. We will be happy to have you here. <BR><BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Bill

I picked up &quot;y'all&quot; here in Virginia because the locals didn't understand my Pittsburgh accent (younz or yunz).<BR><BR>What happens is:<BR><BR>Oops, I tramp on a Turk's toe on the tram. I apologize, as described above. The trampled Turk turns and talks Turkish with a second, politically correct, Turk. I know very little Turkish, so I know he is not asking where the toilet is. <BR>I imagine the conversation goes like this:<BR><BR>Trampled Turk: That stupid Brit just stepped on my toe!<BR><BR>P.C. Turk: He is not a stupid Brit, what he DID was stupid.<BR><BR><BR>