Singapore for 7 days-what is cool?

May 20th, 1998, 10:36 AM
doug

Singapore for 7 days-what is cool?

Hi everyone - I will be working in Singapore in August. I know it will be hot and humid, but I'll be there anyway. I will be there seven days, with
my days free and a few nights too. What wonderful
things are there to see, in the area or surrounding area? Any suggestions would be much appreciated, tips, things to look out for, or make sure to seek and find...
Thanks -

May 20th, 1998, 11:56 PM
Glen

Hello Doug. Singapore is a great place to visit. Its clean, its safe, and there's quite a lot to see and do. The Singapore Zoo is quite a nice spot to visit you can have breakfast with the orangutans if you like that kind of stuff. Getting around Singapore is great via the MRT railway. Its very quick, clean and super efficient. Take a bum boat ride from behind Parliament House to Clarke Quay, you can either get off and have a wander or do a round trip which is probably best. Another nice place to visit for a day is Sentosa Island a cable car or ferry ride away from Mt Faber. It only takes a matter of minutes. There's a museum that shows the history of the invasion of Singapore during the war year and heaps of other fun things to see and do all over the island. Shopping is pretty good in Singapore and you can find some bargains in places like Junction 8 or Yishun, 2 very large suburban shopping complexes. Prices will be around 20 percent cheaper than Orchard Road. I think it will be the time for the Great Singapore Sale whilst you are there. The place goes mad with avid shoppers. Can I suggest that you check out the Singapore Tourism Promotion Board website for some great info. Also check with your nearest representative office. They are all over the World. If you like eating you'll love Singapore. I eat like a pig when I'm there! Hope this info helps. If you have any more questions just ask. Enjoy Singapore.

May 26th, 1998, 12:16 AM
Ursula

Dough - don't forget the night safari. First ever n its pretty neat n cool. Tampines Mall/Century Sq are at "Tampines" MRT stop. I won't say the stuff there are cheap as the oultet is what you can probably find in town. For some cheap stuff- maybe "Toa Payoh" at the MRT stop. Anything you can ask..

May 26th, 1998, 08:20 AM
Paul

I know this is probably blase these days, but one of the coolest things in my life was sitting in the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel, drinking Singapore Slings. I could almost hear the artillery in the background...

Jun 1st, 1998, 01:51 AM
Tex

Even if you don't think you like plants...DON'T miss the Orchid gardens at the Botanical Gardens. Also, the Jurong Bird Park is an incredible array of tropical birds from all over the world. The shows and feedings are magnificent. Not to be missed. Also, don't miss the Hindu Temple and the various Buddist Temples and Muslim mosques. They are quite the site too.

Jun 1st, 1998, 09:36 PM
ray seva

I know ONE thing that DEFINITELY WON't be cool:

The weather! (hot & humid year-round)

Jun 5th, 1998, 03:45 PM
Fiona

Greetings from Singapore! Glen offers very informative details on places to go. In addition to that, Singapore's national day also falls on the 9th Aug. There will be certain road-blocks during that day of celebration. Most shops and resturants do not close on that day. There will be "live-telecast" count-downs at certain strategic resturants and places. People here are very friendly and are most willing to help if u get lost. Our first language is English. Enjoy yourself!

Jun 14th, 1998, 04:40 AM
Alistair

One thing nobody mentioned is the night Hooka (spelling?) markets.... the most fantastic food I've ever experienced.... you must try to Toger Prawns... unreal....

Enjoy...

Jun 14th, 1998, 10:11 AM
bob benzinger

From Florida -

Can only agree that a must is the Singapore Sling at the Raffles Hotel Bar. But be forewarned. it might taste like something your mum mixed up from some fruit juice - but it packs a wallop. After a couple of them and a reurn to the heat and humidity - the whole world might float around you.

And remember not to discard anything whatsoever on the pavement!!! You could end up in the hoosegow with a couple of lashes to boot.

Our temperature here is 40 degrees C.

Now I am soon on my way to Australia for the first time and will begin either in Sydney or Melbourne.
Am a disabled vet from the 2d world war but do not look it nor feel like it = ideas anyone?