Reload this Page >

flying and talking in thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 1998, 01:52 PM
erica

i'm headed to thailand this october and am interested in picking up some thai before i go -- i'm only there 4 weeks, so i'd like to become as immersed as possible. i live in manhattan. any ideas on language books/courses/tapes?
also, am having trouble finding reasonably priced flights from bankok to sydney with my travel agent here in the states. i'm considering just waiting to buy that ticket once i get to thailand. does anyone have any experience buying one way tickets out of bankok?
thanks, any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Old Jun 3rd, 1998, 04:34 PM
Glen

Hi Erica. I think you should be able to find some Thai language tapes or books in your fantastic Manhattan bookstores?!?! I had to buy two one-way tickets out of Bangkok a few years ago when I got really sick. Don Muang Airport has an office for nearly every airline in the World. I bought two one-way tickets to get out. One to Singapore and another from there to Perth. It was fairly easy. You should have absolutley no problems getting a ticket to Sydney unless every flight is booked out which could be the case at the moment. Its really hard to get seats to Bangkok from Australia as there are so many Aussies travelling to Thailand to take advantage of cheaper deals. It would be the same in reverse. Thai Airways is of course another great option. I think Alitalia might also fly Bangkok to Sydney?? You should have a few options available to you. If your Travel Agent was doing a good job they should be able to organise it before you leave! Good luck.

Old Jun 4th, 1998, 01:48 AM
Tye Hartall

I suggest you purchase your ticket to Sydney once you get here to Thailand. You may be able to travel
down the Malay Penninsula by train to Singapore and pick up a flight from there.

I just picked up a Thai CD ROM. I found the ad in the Bankok Post online.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/ads/cdth.html

It's a little advanced but covers a lot quickly.
Otherwise you could pick up a phrase book when you get here. By the way don't miss Phuket. I've lived here for six months and it's a great place.

Tye

Old Jun 4th, 1998, 09:04 AM
Sue

Try Foreign Languages for Traveler at travlang.com/languages/

Old Jun 14th, 1998, 04:08 PM
Judi

<BR>Tye - what can you tell me about Phuket?? Beaches??? Prices and availability??? Things to do in the local area...etc Thanks J.