Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines rescheduled my flight!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was all going too well

I logged into Singapore airlines site today to see if I could check-in online and found that the 2nd leg of my flight from Singapore to Auckland has been rescheduled and instead of 2 and a half hours, we now have about 15 hours at Singapore.

Any suggestions about how I can turn this from a pain to an opportunity? We arrive around 6am and leave 9pm. I know there is some sort of shuttle bus but is it just a tour of the city or can/should I get off and see anything?

Any last minute tips from anyone who has spent some time at Singapore airport would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Maria
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 01:21 PM

The city tour is quite good really but you can do it yourself if you want. Alternatively if you want to have a shower and a sleep you can book into the airport hotel which is right in the middle of the airport shopping area and get an 8 hour or so of rest and sleep etc. It is quite reasonably priced too.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM

The Singapore Hop on Off Bus will take you all over the city. There are some nice things to do there. You can go by the Raffles Hotel or go shopping on Orchard Road. The botanical gardens are beautiful. The night zoo is also fun. The airport in Singapore is nice. The business class lounge for Singapore air is very good. I personally wouldn't stay at the airport for 15 hours. I'd go tour the city and head back to the airport about 2-2½ hours before the flight. The bus thing should be free if you show your a passenger on Singapore Air. They will give you a book of coupons that you can use as well.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Maria -

I feel your pain - United just rescheduled one of my flights and I now have an 8 hour layover in LAX (of all places!) before a killer 16.5 hour flight to Singapore on SIA. It will no doubt prove to be the longest day of my life...

But that's neither here nor there, as your question is about Singapore. As airports go, Changi is a good one to be stuck in, but there's certainly no need to spend the time there as it's easy to get into the city to take a look around.

The bus tour is a great way to see Singapore and it's free - you'll find info kiosks regarding the tour throughout Changi.

DO visit the orchid gardens if you can - a wonderful place to spend a few hours in the city.

Taxis are inexpensive in Singapore - you might consider visiting Clark Quay for some shopping, a walk along the river and a meal at one of the many restaurants (I recommend The Brew Werkz - great beer and onion rings!)

The Ambassador Airport Hotel is right in Changi as mentioned by Liz and assessible from both Terminals I & II. You can rent a room in a six hour block, which will give you a chance to rest and shower - great rates, but suggest you book ahead as the hotel is often fully booked.

The Ambassador Transit Hotel also has shower facilities for non-hotel guests - S$10++ will get you a hot shower complete with amenities, towel and cold bottle of water.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 02:12 AM

I guess one thing not mentioned by previous correspondents is that unlike Tokyo, Bangkok and a host of other cities in Asia where you need a tour, Singaore you do not.
Since it was founded by the british it has maintained a totally western aura - English is the first language, street signs - trains - shops - everything in english.

And the shops look like you expect. Starbucks in Orhard rd looks like Starbucks, smells and talks and tastes like starbucks! (is that good?*!)

Take a taxi to town its inexpensive, and an experience, walk down Orchard Rd, Visit the 8 floors of Lucky Emporium where you can buy almost anything cheap - and whilst staying in a western comfort zone, experience what it must have been like in a totally eastern market.

Haggle - offer less - and no matter how cheap you buy, you got done!

A visit to Raffles Hotel for a feel for the days of the British Raj, there's heaps to do including Chili Crab by the river.
And as everyone told you, Changi airport is not unpleasant.