Search

Shangri-la in Cairns

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shangri-la in Cairns

How is this hotel? It looks great on the website (with very nice rooms, and a good location) - however it notes that construction is going on in the hotel.

Is the construction limited to certain wings, or is it more obvious, and fairly disruptive? Is the price of AUD 145 good for this place (given the construction) or would you recommend a different hotel instead? We are looking to stay very close to the Esplanade.

Our other options are: Outrigger, Cairns International Hotel, 181 The Esplanade or Breakfree Resort)

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 09:55 PM

Don't know the Shangrila, but Outrigger is very nice. You might also consider Il Palazzo, a small boutique hotel, and Waterfront Terraces, a small boutique holiday apartment.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 01:56 AM

air1975 - Shangri-la is the old Radisson and has been undergoing renovations for some time - excellent waterfront position on Marlin Marina - it adjoins the Pier Marketplace with shopping and restaurants, which is also being re-vamped and must almost be complete. Shangri-La's new foyer is complete but don't know how much longer for rooms. At AU$145 its a bargain.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:39 AM

It seems that renovations for new Shangri-la are almost complete - foyer is very stylish and minimalist now, compared with the glaring kitsch of the old Radisson plastic rainforest, (featuring amongst other shockers, replicas of monkeys - am sure you know we don't have monkeys in Oz). Work (daytime only) is now on its new restaurant (Tides) which is well away from rooms. There is some daytime construction noise at other end of Pier complex, but it's out of earshot of the Shangri-la. There's a large choice of other restaurants both in Pier marketplace and short stroll through the park to the Esplanade.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:28 AM

When I stay in Cairs I always stay at the clarion. It boasts the largest pool in Australia and backs on to the beach. Only 15 mins from the airport too.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:39 PM

The Clarion at Palm Cove is closed and their answering machine gives no indication of when it will re-open. Its more than 15 minutes from airport - I live closer to Palm Cove than the airport and it takes me 20-25 minutes on Cook Highway. Certainly not the largest resort swimming pool in Australia. Nice position on Williams Esplanade, PC, just across road from beach.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:23 AM

>The Clarion at Palm Cove is closed
Sorry wasn't aware of that.

I was there in october. It was business as usual then.

>ts more than 15 minutes from airport -
Didn't take me that long. Perhaps I was speeding.

>Certainly not the largest resort swimming pool in Australia.
They claim it is. Or at least did back then. The pool is huge.

>Nice position on Williams Esplanade, PC, just across road from beach.

Agreed.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:25 AM

http://www.barrierreefresort.com.au/

They don't mention the pool being the lgest any more. Perhaps someone else built a bigger one.

However, They do state it is 20 mins from the airport!