September Disruptions in Sydney

Aug 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

September Disruptions in Sydney

For those of you who may be in Sydney from 2nd to 9th September please note that a large part of the most popular tourist precinct ( around Opera House and into part of the city proper ) will be either inaccessible or have very restricted access because of the APEC world leaders forum so I suggest you plan accordingly .I believe that www.theaustralian.com.au/thenation has detailed maps showing closures etc .
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:35 AM

And you may, if you wish, assign the blame equally to George W. Bush and John Winston Howard. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your persuasion, this circus will do neither of tham any good.
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:47 AM

The whole thing has got completely out of hand. Sort of like the Olympics where each city tries to outdo each other in "security measures".

Personally, I'd send the lot of them to Nauru. It would be perfectly safe there.
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:51 AM

Or some other small Pacific Island that would appreciate the income and which is so hard to get to and so lightly populated an assassin would stand out a mile off. Or even an Australian Territory - Christmas Island perhaps?

Let's face it, are any of them travelling by scheduled airlines? If Dubya's jet is too big to land none on Nauru I'm sure the US Navy could supply an aircraft carrier and he could be choppered in.

Perfect.

Aug 17th, 2007, 05:21 AM

Show ID to get past Great Wall of Sydney

A FIVE-KILOMETRE, 2.8-metre fence will lock up sections of the CBD during the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation summit next month. Sydneysiders will face the greatest dislocation since the 2000 Olympics.

Pedestrians may need identification to cross some streets. The Cahill Expressway off-ramp to Macquarie Street will be closed from Tuesday, September 4 until Monday, September 10, adding to the transport chaos that the summit will cause.

http://tinyurl.com/2bockh

& Dubya wants to come early ......
It's like getting ready for a party and have a guest arrive 5 hours early. Not happy, Jan!!
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:34 AM

And I'd like to know why the Australian Government didn't just tell GW that he couldn't just arrive two days early UNLESS HE WAS TRAVELLING AS A PRIVATE CITIZEN.

Why is he coming early anyway? It had better not be to sightsee.

PS - should you be in Sydney and wish to demonstrate your disapproval - Sydney Town Hall 10.00am Sat 8 September.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...857465944.html

Aug 18th, 2007, 05:04 AM

Doesn't look as if any of our American friends and allies have felt the urge to give an opinion.

Funny that.
Aug 18th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Yes we locals are not happy but I really feel sorry for the Fodorites and other tourists , many of whom chose to stay in the area affected. Would be horrible for them to have to go through checkpoint charlie every time they return to their hotel.Still we have the outfits to look forward to ( being personally chosen by Mrs Howard....now what were we wearing in the 50s, Neil? ).
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:13 PM

chimani, having toured several forums my assessment is that for most American Fodorites the sooner the second Tuesday of November 2008 comes around the better.

Peteralan, is it true that the lovely Janette (Hyacinth) Howard has chosen the costumes these clowns will have their photos taken in? The '50s sounds right - it will have to be something retro. I favour Australian Bodgie (female, 'Widgie') circa '57. Forget it, anyone under 60 - you're too young to remember, but think 'Grease' and you'll be close. The Howards have probably got some old Californian Poppy hair oil in the bottom of the bathroom cupboard.
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:49 PM

Ah

but have you seen the pictures of Janet when she started dating Johnnie. Long hair, minis skirts and sports cars.

However, it took 20 years before she trimmed his eyebrows and changed those awful glasses. Meanwhile the two have them have morphed into his & her clones.

It will be interesting to hear the complaints from tourists who are here for the duration. Can't say we didn't tell them so.
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:24 PM

Chimani - Most of us in the U.S. are just happy to see Dubya somewhere other than here for a while. We love to share him with the rest of the world - and we're even happier that he can't be elected for a third term. God only knows what havoc he'd wreak given another 4 years.
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:14 AM

stamiya, fair's fair - you guys should sign a reciprocal agreement and take our prime minister in return.
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:03 AM

Now that's one thing the US has got right - no third term! But there's a wonderful irony there. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 22nd amendment was introduced after FDR did serve three terms.

Not Bush or Reagan, but FDR.

He died before his third term was out but he was a brilliant man, head and shoulders above any of his successors.

And who, I wonder, are we going to get next?

Aug 19th, 2007, 04:32 AM

I heard our PM elect,Kevin '07 was going to take the APEC mob up the cross.
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:47 AM

Well, It's only fair after his club visit in NYC.
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:47 AM

Oh, to go up the Cross with Kev! wish I was back in Sydney.
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:05 AM

It's just unfortunate that the Bourbon & Beefsteak has been all gentrified. I can't be bothered going there anymore.
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:10 PM
GerdaFaust

OK, so THAT explains why I couldn't get a hotel room and ended up postponing my trip to Sept. 2008!

Aug 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM

We've finally given someone some information of relevance.
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM

No Neil. I think the bodgies look would be far too risque for JWH and GB ( not too mention Jeanette ). No I think its time for a return to the safari suit!