Australia in September: Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be sampling urban Australia in early September, with four full days in both Melbourne and Sydney, and 2 1/2 days in Perth (where my American-born cousin lives with his family). I know that's just the very end of winter, but I generally prefer shoulder(ish) travel simply because it means lower airfares and less depressing hotel rates (I'm traveling alone).

I booked my LAX-Melbourne and Sydney-LAX open jaws ticket with Qantas already. But I'm holding off on the domestic flights from MEL-PER and PER-SYD until another credit card cycle, plus I researched and discovered that flying Virgin Blue on those routes would come to a very good discount over Qantas. My question is: about how far in advance should I book these tickets? (I'd be arriving Perth on the 8th; leaving for Sydney on the 11th.) Should I jump at the (AU) $215 and $229 (respectively) now or just hold off a bit and see if maybe I can get something even lower? I tend to be quite an early-bird booker/itinerary planner.

In Melbourne, if I've found myself with the day coming to a close and time left to see only EITHER the interior of Parliament House on a tour OR visit the Chinese Museum, which might many of you recommend over the other? I'm both a museum and an historic architecture buff, so it's a tough choice unless one far outshines the other.

On my final full day in Melbourne, I was planning to visit the zoo in the late morning/early afternoon, have lunch, and then possibly book the "Penguin Parade Express" trip that Gray Line tours offers daily, departing late afternoon. My question: as lovely as those penguins may be, do I want to be in a large group of other tourists watching them in potentially unpleasant weather, or should I save something like that for a future visit during warmer months?

Have any of you had an opportunity to see the Melbourne modern dance company Chunky Move? Their website is a lot of fun to visit, and I think I'd like their stuff.

In Perth, I'm staying with my cousin and perhaps just visiting the beach out in Cottesloe and a dash around Fremantle. I'd do more, but he's got two kids and I think things like heading out to Rottnest Island, etc., might end up being pricey for them.

Sydney was pretty easy to plan. It's my first visit to Australia, and I can't wait to catch some of the places in Sydney that contestants on my favorite reality show, The Amazing Race, went to during a leg that took them to Sydney. And being a huge fan of Muriel's Wedding, I'm making a short pilgrimage out to St. Mark's Anglican Church on Darling Point (I think I have that all correct?) for a quick photo.

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 05:45 PM

The first thing to say is, don't worry yourself overmuch about the "very end of winter". Most visitors tell us that Australians don't even know what winter is.... Sydney, in particular, is generally quite lovely even in parts of August, and September will be clear and warm. The only negative is the September winds, which often spring up late afternoon and make the temperature drop suddenly. These can be quite unpleasant, but they are by no means a daily occurrence, and you may well not experience even one.

Melbourne might be a very different story in September, however.... but I will let the Melbourne experts talk about that.

About your air fares between Perth and the East Coast.... well, that's the sixty-four dollar question. If it were me, I think I'd wait and hope for the best. We have two budget airlines flying that route -- Jetstar and VirginBlue -- and both have regular sales in which fares can drop to ridiculous levels (I travelled from Sydney to Perth for $AUD99 a couple of years ago). However, if you don't get what you want by, say, the end of June, then you ought to bite the bullet and pay whatever you have been offered, as trying to get a seat on a specific flight at the last minute brings a greedy gleam to the eyes of the booking clerk, and I have heard of people paying over $AUD400.

When the sales do come up, consider buying a fare to a nearby destination.... sometimes Perth-Melbourne, Perth-Adelaide and Perth-Sydney tickets for the same day can be priced hundreds of dollars differently, and it's quite easy to travel between these by bus or train. I know that when I inspect the discount fares during sale times, I often fins that, as a Sydneysider, I could save a lot of money by flying out of Newcastle, which is only a 90-minute drive from Sydney.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 03:32 AM

OK, I can't answer about when you should buy your tickets except that the further out you buy, the cheaper usually. $215 Mel=Perth sounds FANTASTIC to me (I'm a Sydney sider).
Not watching the Amazing Race, I have no idea where you are planning to visit.
I can tell you that St Marks is a pretty little church about a 15 minute cab ride (no traffic) from the centre of town mid-day. Get the cab to wait (it's small) or walk down Darling Point Rd to New South Head Road and Edgecliff Station to get a train back to town. This is also the church that Elton John got married in. To a woman. Many moons ago. Really.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:30 AM

There are a couple of options with Virgin Blue tickets.
1. subscribe to their newsletter, they'll let you know when they are having sales (you can also do this with qantas too).
2. virgin blue have a 'happy hour' each day from 12-1pm Australian EST. They mark different routes each day and you often get them very reasonably priced.
3. Their mid-week mini fares (Tues, Weds, Thurs) are cheaper than other days as well eg $189 for Mel - perth as opposed to $215.
You could hold off until the next sale, but I think that those fares are not too bad - it's a long way from syd to perth!

I saw a chunky move production a long time ago and while i can't remember the details I do remember it being really cool.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 09:26 PM

Another alternative for getting to see St. Marks is to take a bus from the city - it would be either a 324, 325 or 327 the destination would be Watsons Bay and they depart from Elizabeth Street in the CBD. You will leave the bus at Edgecliff and walk up Darling Point Road as suggested with the train. You can then take either a bus or train back. The trip will take about 20 minute or so and you will get to see a bit of the suburban side of Sydney on the way.
It is a lovely church (I was also married there but hardly caused the exitement of Elton John!!) and there are some very nice old buildings nearby and some lovely multi-million dollar houses/apartments in the street.
An alternative to re-tracing your steps would be to walk down Greenoaks Avenue at the side of the church, continue down until you come to Ocean Street, turn left and head to the water - which is Double Bay - turn right and you will see the actual shopping centre which is a very attractive part of Sydney. You can then catch a bus back to the city from New South Head Road.
Please let me know if you have any other questions about that particular area as I lived there for years.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 09:58 PM

I have just had two thoughts - if you do take the walk from the church down to Double Bay you could then take the regular Ferry service back to the city, which would give you a lovely harbour trip.
Also the Church might well be locked except for when there are services - the phone number in order to check is
9363 3657.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 04:58 AM

Hi - re Chunky Move. So rare to see a dance question here!! Yes, seen them - bit out on the edge is the best way to describe. Not really my cup of tea but I have always taken something positive home from their performances. If you could get to see Bangarra that would be good.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for your excellent feedback! I'll be back here with additional questions as they may arise. (Oh, and I went ahead and purchased those VirginBlue airfares I mention in the OP. Coverting to US$, they came to just $337 total.)