Sea lice in Fiji / Navini

Oct 7th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Sea lice in Fiji / Navini

Someone mentioned sea lice in Fiji in one of the post. I had never heard of sea lice before, please could you tell me more about these? We are going to Fiji (Navini) at the end of December / beginning of January, are we likely to get some there? There is no swimming pool on Navini so I am starting to get worried... Thanks.
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:41 AM

We were in Fiji a year ago May and experienced sea lice. They seem to drift around in large groups (or whatever a lot of them are called). We were on Vomo island snorkeling from a boat just offshore and moved a short distance away where there were none. They didn't bother me too much but other people were really anxious to get away from them. So, I am thinking that if they are in the area they will move on with the tide if you wait a while.
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:19 PM

I don't know what the correct term is for what are known as sea-lice, but they occur in all tropical areas. They are tiny (invisible), and for 99% of people they are no problem - they just feel like brushing against something slightly prickly. If however you are allergic to them you will come out with little bite marks that are quite itchy. The stings respond well to any sort of anti-itch cream, or the local remedy is either lemon/lime juice or vinegar. There is no particular time for them (that I've found) and no particular area - they move around. We've found them in all areas of Fiji at all different times of the year - although we've had many trips where there were none. As Louise said, it's a matter of moving a small distance away. If you're worried about it you'll find that applying a sunscreen that's oil based before you get in the water or wearing a lycra skin suit solves any problems. I'm quite badly allergic (and it's never stopped me from swimming in Fiji) and at a Christmas trip to Navini a few years ago I didn't find any - but as I said, they are erratic and I always travel prepared with coconut oil sunscreen and a suit.
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:09 AM

Just my 2 cents, I've been to Fiji many times in various areas & never ran into sea lice, thank goodness. Also never in the Caribbean Islands or Mexico but in Belize off Cayo Espanto, they had what they called sea roaches, definately NOT invisible, about the size of apencil eraser top, but would cling to you when you left the water. As far as I could tell did not sting or bite. I've been told they too are reoccurring in tropical places depending upon conditions. Oh well, as long as I don't see big fins in the water, I'm OK!
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, we can now stop worrying!
Oct 10th, 2003, 03:52 AM

Hi-I don't have a comment re sea lice but had to reply since I will be at Navini the same time. My daughter (22) and I will be spending the week after Christmas there.Since it it so small I am sure we will meet.
Oct 10th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Elaine,
I guess we'll see you there (without the sea lice!), I will be there with my husband and our 8 year old son - we are really looking forward to it - we actually found out about Navini on this forum. We'll be spending 3 weeks in New Zealand first. Where are you from? We are from the UK. Odile
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:09 PM

Odile,
Hello-I am from Connecticut, USA. My daughter is doing the fall semester in NZ at Ecoquest. I am meeting her in Auckland at the end of term and we will tour NZ for two weeks. Leave NZ 12/27 and stay at Navini until 1/3. I also heard about Navini through this site.
Oct 11th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi Elaine,
See you on Navini! We'll arrive on 29 Dec and leave on 3 Jan.
Odile
Oct 12th, 2003, 12:17 PM

Odile
How wierd to come across someone who is staying at the same place-especially since there are only 10 bures. Well, we will test the waters so to speak-if you see us scratching when you get there you will know the sea lice have arrived. See you then-have a safe and fun trip. elaine