Castaway, Tokoriki, Navini or ????

Sep 28th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Castaway, Tokoriki, Navini or ????

My husband and I are going to Fiji from June 2, 2004 - June 12, 2004. We are staying at the Outrigger for 7 nights the first part of the trip, but want to stay on an outer island for the remainder 4 nights. Yes, I know I would rather stay on the outer islands instead, but this was a timeshare deal we couldn't pass up that was basically free. Anyway, I am torn between which island to stay at. We went to Tahiti, Bora Bora, and Moorea this year and went very high end, but this trip we don't want to spend $1000 a night. We would like to stay in the Mamanuca group, but I am torn between which resort to stay at. We are in our mid thirties and want rest and relaxation, but also some type of entertainment at night, activities, an excellent beach is very important and snorkeling near by. We will be staying in a beach bure so I want a bure with nice furnishings and we will be taking the all inclusive plan so we want a place with good food. We also don't want a bunch of kids running around, since I'm sure we'll be dealing with kids at the Outrigger. Although, the resort doesn't have to be couples only. (Obviously my husband and I don't have kids.) I'm hoping someone out there can help me since I am very confused on which island to choose! Thanks all
Sep 28th, 2003, 08:11 PM

For your criteria - I'd definitely go for Tokoriki. Lovely bures, a great beach, great food and snorkelliung (while not off the beach) very close by. If not Tokoriki - then Navini - but neither the food or bures are as nice. If you're going to Tokoriki - make sure you take a sea-plane or heli out. The boat is very long and boring and you basically loose a day getting there and a day back.
Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:45 PM

Cannot agree with previous posting about Tokoriki as first choice. Castaway has a better beach, food is very special, far nicer than Tokoriki. The staff at Tokoriki were surly and rude, the owner a pompous, arrogant Aussie, the beach full of seaweed and sea lice, huge westerly winds-our seaplane couldn'teven take off!!!The bures were tired furnishings dated, air con leaked all over our luggage and unless they have spent lots of money upgrading it since Dec 2001 I would not risk it. Castaway has an enviable worldwide reputation for great couple and family holidays. We spent $3500 at Tokoriki for 5 nights and hated the place-sewearge smells were the last straw!
Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:23 PM

Tokoriki is an awesome place and well worth the visit we just returned. It does not allow children under 12 years. The resort is set on a wonderful beach with swaying palm trees and great snorkelling. Sorry to hear that Lyndie had a bad experience but after 2 years she should get over it. The resort has completed lots of renovations since then and are now finalising new interiors of all their rooms and buiding new honeymoon bures with plunge pools, they look sensational. Castaway is great but gets lots of kids.
Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:52 PM

Really dumb question:
What is a bure?
Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:20 PM

A bure is a Fijian hut - it's what they call they're "bungalows". I'm amazed at Lyndie's experience at Tokoriki. We visited Castaway once to stay and oonce to meet some friends and I would not stay there again. There are too many bures - the roofs are touching and I found it way too busy not only with all of the guests, but the day trippers who descend every day as well. Tokoriki - where we stayed this July is an absolute delight. The staff were wonderful, the food was the best we've had in Fiji - (apart from the 5* Yasawa) and the beach was great. An added bonus was the no children under 12 policy except for during the Australian school holidays . As far as the sea lice and the seaweed - the sea lice are everwhere at certain times of the year (none this July) and the seaweed is right through the entire Mamanuca group at the moment, but they are working hard to get rid of it from the beaches.
Oct 4th, 2003, 04:40 AM

I'd never heard of sea lice before, can you tell me more about it please? We are going to Navini in December / January, are we likely to find some then? Thank you. (I'm now off to search the web for sea lice!!!)
Oct 4th, 2003, 04:47 AM

cincytraveler
Wasn't your trip in Sept?
I would love to read the trip report
Did you post it?
Muck
Oct 4th, 2003, 04:24 PM

Hello,
I just thought I would let you know about our recent experience. We just returned from Fiji 2 weeks ago. I have been to Taveuni several times and chose it again on this trip. We stayed at the most perfect spot, Taveuni Palms. We are in our thirties as well with no children. We are very active, but love to have time to relax. We had the entire 2 1/2 acres to ourselves, the beach was amazing, we snorkeled right off the beach, there is a great reef there. We also did boating excursions to outer islands as Taveuni is known for 2 incredible diving/snorkeling areas 'The Great White Wall' and the 'Rainbow Reef'. Anyway, it was all inclusive (the food is YUM), private, quiet, we had our own pool to ourselves. We had a 2 bedroom fully furnished home. In short, it was beautiful and we are looking forward to returning. You should have a look at their website and see what you think. www.taveunipalms.com

Whatever you decide have a great trip, Fiji is amazing!
Oct 6th, 2003, 04:06 AM

To Muck

Our trip is going to be Sept. 2004. Nothing like planning ahead! Will probably be asking lots of "dumb" questions before we actually go. But I have to say, I touch base with these boards every day. Lots to learn.
Oct 6th, 2003, 04:07 AM

I apologizy Mucky for misspelling your name. My mind got ahead of my fingers!
Oct 6th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your help! I think we've decided upon Tokoriki. I was leaning towards this resort in the first place and everyone's comments helped me make my decision. Besides the one negative post from Lyndie, I think we're making a good choice.

Oct 6th, 2003, 05:31 AM

We also decided on Tokoriki and are going to be there in November. I think we made a very good choice and will share our experiences with you when we return.
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:50 AM

Hi cincytraveler,
Muck or Mucky amounts to the same thing really... ;-)

Muck
Oct 12th, 2003, 09:04 PM

message for islandman-I got over Tokoriki long ago-I just hat to see people get ripped off and feel obliged to post of my negative experience. After all it cost me heaps for my holiday and Tokoriki just did not deliver the goods-the truth sometimes hurts. Sorry