Reload this Page >

Restaurant suggestions in Sydney and Melbourne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Ian

I really love the Australian eating style--I go to Outback Steakhouse every chance I get.<BR><BR>Where should I go to get an authentic Australian eating experience like Outback Steakhouse? I don't need a french or asian place. I really like the &quot;Bloomin Onion&quot; appetizer, steaks and shrimp on &quot;the barb&quot;.<BR><BR>Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 11:57 PM
Aussie

Hi Ian,<BR>This answer may seem a bit strange to you, however I will put it to you anyway.<BR>When in Melbourne, go to a Supermarket or butcher shop &amp; buy some fillet steak or T .Bone , onions , butter &amp; bread &amp; head down to the banks of the Yarra river &amp; do it yourself on a bbq.<BR>You will also get tp meet other aussie's doing the same thing &amp; having a great time.<BR>

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:10 AM
shannon

I really hope you are joking and don't really think that is how the Aussies eat?!<BR><BR>but thanks for the good laugh! ;-)<BR><BR>I recommend the seafood near Sydney. Can't say I was in Melbourne to offer any suggestions.<BR><BR>HOWEVER if you want a big ol good steak<BR><BR>head over to Philip's Foote in the Rocks. COOK it yourself HUGE steaks and all the fixings! And you get to eat outside. No tending to the coals....<BR><BR>

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Brooke

Aussie is very right that is the best way to experience and aussie meal! Or for some bush tucker try Lillie Pillie on King, in Newtown Sydney or Edna's Table in Sydney city.<BR><BR>Lillie Pillie is well priced and both serve Kangaroo, emu, seafood etc....... <BR>VERY TASTY! ENJOY

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 11:29 PM
Sam

Shannon, can you tell us more - my mouth is watering in anticipation! Is this an outdoor setup, casual, how is the quality of the food? Lunch time or dinner time?

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:37 PM
Ken

I hope the original poster was kidding. Outback Steakhouse is NOT Australian style cuisine. It is American food in an Australian-themed restaurant.<BR><BR>Having lived in Australia, there was nothing like it in Australia. Several Aussie friends have said the same thing.<BR><BR>Plenty of great food. Not too hard to find.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:55 PM
shannon

Sam<BR><BR>Philip's Foote is along the main street in the Rocks. Not too far down from Flame Opals.<BR><BR>You walk in thru an older looking building front...the bar is on the left.<BR><BR>HOWEVER the food is &quot;outback&quot; thru the door and cross the patio and into another building. <BR><BR>Found this description on a restaurant website for Sydney---<BR><BR>A very Australian style of restaurant is the do-it-yourself barbecue, mostly found in larger pubs, licensed clubs and places like Philip's Foote in The Rocks. Here you pay for a raw steak, sausages, fish or meat or seafood kebabs which you barbecue yourself. Depending on your choice, the price includes a help-yourself salad bar or vegetables.<BR><BR>They are great fun and generally very casual. The quality of food, particularly steak, is very high - but there's no one to blame if its over or underdone!~~~<BR><BR>Can't find an updated $$ but it was around $30AUD pp I think. And that included a beer. <BR><BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:57 PM
shannon

http://www.afloat.com.au/sydney/phillipsfoote/<BR><BR><BR>http://members.ozemail.com.au/~brookscm/

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:30 PM
Sharon

Aussie gave you the answer you asked for and others then began to tell you that that was not right. <BR>There are b b ques everywhere in every city in Australia and in country areas where you will either find a gas/electric or wood bbq. Most beaches have them and people flock down there in the evenings and weekends to cook and have a party. In lots of places in Australia Christmas dinner is done the same way. So I am sorry to disappoint you Shannon but I cannot think why you would think that this is strange. Australians love the out-doors, we have lots of open space beside lakes, rivers, ocean and we have a fabulous climate so why would we not eat this way?

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:30 PM
mel

Sharon, Shannon was referring to the american restaurant chain 'Outback Steakhouse' as not being reflective of our cuisine with its supposedly aussie concoctions such as 'bloomin onion' (?!?).<BR>ps. Ian make sure you call them prawns NOT shrimp while you are here! ;-)