Search

Renaissance Hotel, Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:57 PM
David Kates

Renaissance Hotel, Sydney

I'd like to get opinions from anyone who is familiar with the Renaissance Hotel in Sydney.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:01 PM
liz

Yes its a 4 or 5 star hotel in Sydney just like any similar hotel in any other part of the world..nothing special

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Mel

I stayed there for one night on my way back home. It has a really good location near Circular Quay. It is huge and I found it really impersonal. My room (at the end of the hall) was spacious enough but kind of dark. I didn't book a harbourview room since it was just for one night. Stayed there because of the good rate but don't think I'd stay there otherwise.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:41 PM
oztravel

Typical nice American style hotel. Big also with good location. You'll get better rates at Aussie hotels though that are just as nice.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Alan

Hi, David!<BR>Haven't stayed there, but have been on a guided tour there. They spend a lot of money on glossy brochures telling you about their theme lunches, and they attract a lot of business guests (conventions, etc, I guess). The location, in Pitt Street, is close to the harbour at Circular Quay, but there are even closer and better-placed hotels, such as Holiday Inn at the Rocks or the Hyatt. As a previous poster says, it's a big, standard American-type hotel whose only real interest is that you just MIGHT get a fantastic view of the harbour (but I also saw one room in which some inconsiderate developer had sort of built another skyscraper in the way!) I guess it depends on what you want... myself, I usually avoid this type of hotel like the plague when I'm travelling, and go for something which reflects the history of the place I am visiting. Have you checked out the Russell in George St or the Lord Nelson Brewery in Kent St?

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:51 AM
stephn

We just got back from Sydney & Port Douglas. In Sydney we stayed at the Renaissance Hotel (using Marriott points which made that choice easy!) No, it doesn't exude charm or history but it is a good location - 2 minute walk to Circular Quay to catch bus/ferry. 5 minute walk to The Rocks. Clean rooms, accomodating staff - price wise I'm not sure how it compares to other hotels but since our stay was "free" we certainly can't complain!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Rik

Nice enough hotel, but there is a lot better for less $$$$$$ in Sydney.<BR>you can find some great deals on www.lastminute.com