Thala Beach Lodge ??? PD

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Karen

Thala Beach Lodge ??? PD

Anyone stayed here ? Any information ?<BR>Thanks...Karen

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 09:20 AM
stephn

I almost hesitated even replying, but I at least wanted to let you know what I knew about Thala - it sounds very nice & I think past messages on this board have alluded to that as well. In fact we were booked there for our stay in Port Douglas but changed our minds about a month or so before leaving for Australia. We just decided we wanted to be right in Port Douglas as many tours leave from there (although all tours will pick you up from Thala) & the close proximity to shops/restaurants. Thala does have a shuttle that runs to Port Douglas or if you have a rental car proximity might not be an issue. Ultimately we decided the rate we got at The Peninsula Boutique Hotel in Port Douglas was comparable to Thala's rate but also included breakfast, round trip airport transfers & laundry facilities. We did drive past the entrance to Thala on the way from the airport & while the setting is beautiful we were glad we chose to be in Port Douglas. It is about a 20 minute drive to Port Douglas. I'm not trying to bash Thala because I'm sure it is a lovely property - just thought I'd share what I knew & what worked for us. Feel free to email me if you have other questions!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Karen

Stephanie,<BR> Thank you so much for the info on Thala. I hope we are making the right choice. It is going to be out honeymoon so I want just the right place.<BR>Karen

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Debbie

Karen,<BR>We were at the Thala Beach Lodge 2 1/2 years ago. It was so beautiful. The grounds were lush and the rooms were decorated beautifully. Ours felt like we were in a tree house, though we weren't actually raised from the ground on the side we walked in on. The beach was lovely, too. There was also a small pool in a very natural setting (maybe more than one...my memory fails me.)We had a rental car so we were able to go into Port Douglas and Cairns from there. I think it is a perfect place to stay for a honeymoon! Best of luck.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Mark

Jaimie,<BR><BR>We stayed at Thala Beach Lodge this past May and it was a wonderful place to stay!! We stayed in a "Coral Sea Bungalow and it was magnificent. VEY secluded and private. The Pool is pretty large and naturally inviting. It can be a bit "hilly" to walk around, and your bags will be brought to your cottage via a little van. Osprey's Resturant is nice and the breakfast is nice every morning. The concierge was very helpful in getting dinner reservations and assisting us with and excursions we wanted to do. It is about 15-20 minutes outside of PD and there is a bus/shuttle that regularly stops at Thala and the hotels in PD and drops off in the "downtown" area of PD. Another consideration is the time of year you would be going. The summer is "rainy" season and many of the roads and more difficult to pass over. Either way, It is a BEAUTIFUL part of Oz and I wish you a wonderful Honeymoon.<BR><BR>Mark

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Karen

Thanks to all who responded ! It sounds like I have chosen a very beautiful place for our last stop while on our honeymoon! Now all I have to do is find a place in Honolulu, that is where it begins..then we will be sailing to South Pacific islands then on to NZ and finally Ausralia...whew..what a trip !<BR>Thanks again to all for the info !<BR>Karen