Sydney Hotels-Circular Quay

Jan 4th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Ken

Sydney Hotels-Circular Quay

I know this topic comes up repeatedly, and there is never really a "right" answer. But, I am looking for advice on the best hotel in Sydney near Circular Quay. And near means up to a 10 minutes walk.

Thanks for any input.

Jan 4th, 2003, 01:58 PM
liz

Depends if you are looking for an American/Japanese style hotel with 5 stars and the same amenities as every other 5 star hotel in the world of one with character.

Jan 4th, 2003, 03:26 PM
jamie

Just returned and stayed at the Renaissance on Pitt St. 1-1/2 blocks from Circular Quay. Great location. Even though parts of the hotel are being renovated, we never heard or saw any workmen.

Jan 4th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Kate

I stayed at the Quay Grand Suites in East Circular Quay - one minute walking to the Opera House - in Aug 2001. It's an all-suite hotel with views of the Harbour Bridge. Living room, dining area, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, balcony. Great place to stay if you are on a long trip b/c all the suites come with laundry machines! It's part of an Australian chain of hotels. I got a special rate of US$150/night, but it's not hard to get US$200/night. Remember, taxes are included in Australian hotel rates.

Jan 5th, 2003, 02:34 AM
Rich

Hi Ken,
We were very pleased with the Marriott overlooking Hyde park, I know its a bit more than 10 mins walk down to the harbour around 15-20mins but it was a good base and out of the immediate hustle and bustle of the Quay.
Good luck

Rich

Jan 5th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Merriem

We spent 10 days at the Park Hyatt and could not have been more pleased. The location is perfect, and so is the hotel. E-mail me if you want more info.

Jan 5th, 2003, 01:28 PM
LN

Hi Ken

I think when you look for the best hotel you also look for the one fitting your budget. When we arrived in Sydney at the start of our trip we stayed near Circular Quay at the Quay West. I have only raves for the hotel, the staff, the apartment, the VIEW!!!. After touring Australia and New Zealand we came back to Sydney for an additional 3 nights and stayed up near Hyde Park. This made our touring around Darling Harbor and the city a little easier and the cost was about 1/2. But there was nothing like being right there by Circular Quay. Our favorite means of transportation was the ferries.

Jan 5th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Kristine

We stayed at the Intercontinental while on our honeymoon in November. Very nice hotel, very close to Circular Quay, the Opera House and Botanical Gardens.
-Kristine

Jan 6th, 2003, 11:57 AM
bist_m

We stayed at Park Hyatt for 5 days. The view and the room itself were great. But the service is horrible. If you even stay there don't ever eat in their Harbour Kitchen. We travel quite a bit but I have never seen such horrible service.

Jan 6th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Patrice

We stayed at the Four Seasons in October and loved it!

Jan 15th, 2003, 07:54 PM
eternal question

this is THE defining question of this board, i think.

when you have narrowed your choices, be sure to post the favored: park hyatt vs. ritz vs. quay suites question.

honestly, the park hyatt is the nicest- low slung, great view and sorry great service..however- if ferries are your focus, it is actually a tedious hike (though pretty) back and forth along the waterfront.

every other "quay" hotel is closer.

to fall out of bed and onto a ferry, select either quay hotel; renaissance;

for a two minute walk back to your hotel, select the sir stamford or the (overpriced IMHO) intercontinental. or the four seasons, which is on quite a crummy street, given that it's a four seasons...the other two in this graph are on a nicer street, facing the botanic gardens. both are older, though, with those stuffy older hotel style rooms.

you are right to stay at the quay mostly because the ferries are such a practical way to get around and you'll want to be close to them...

Jan 16th, 2003, 11:25 AM
bill simpson

I never hear any posts about The Wentworth Sydney, 61-101 Phillip Street. I stayed there earlier in the year & thought the hotel & the location was great. Less than a 10 minute walk to The Rocks, one block from Macquarie St & the beautiful Royal Botanic Gardens, near shopping such as Pitt Mall & Queen Victoria Building. Hyde Park & many historic buildings nearby. Its was right in the middle of everything so walking to all the sights was a snap. The cost starts a $176AU. We recommended it to a couple that just returned from Australia & they also agreed that it was a very good hotel in an excellent location. Check it out.

Jan 16th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Prue

The Wentworth was taken over by the Accor Group at the end of last year, and closed throughout this month for refurbishment. It should be due to open any time now, and is certainly an excellent hotel, particularly location wise.

Jan 16th, 2003, 01:26 PM
VBFan

We stayed at the Old Sydney Holiday Inn. It is located in the Rocks 1 block from Circular Quay. We loved it. The rooftop pool overlooking the bridge and opera house were great.

A good combination of value and location for us.

Jan 16th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Bruce

Grace Hotel is also a great hotel to stay out especially if you like to shop. It is right near the pitt sreet all and the queen victoria building. Not expensive either.

Jan 17th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Beth

A few years ago we stayed at the MacKay apartments. Beautiful rooms with little kitchenettes and overlooking the harbour. It is close to Kings Cross but no problems. We walked to the opera house via the sea wall and it was great. Price was around $100 canadian. I would definitely stay there again. They even have a swimming pool. Too busy sightseeing to swim though.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:58 AM
johanna

Reading all with interest. Since I have 6 wks in au/nz...which is closest best deal, least walking, safest for a woman alone???wentworth, holiday inn , grace hotel, quay???many thanks..will be there first of April..how do I book??

Johanna

Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:27 AM
bill simpson

We stayed at the Wentworth & never felt in harms way. We are an older couple that likes to hoof it all over the place. Anywhere around the Circular Quay is quite safe - just beware, as you should, no matter where you are at.

Jan 24th, 2003, 03:11 AM
Alan

Johanna, all the hotels you mentioned above are perfectly good, and the Old Sydney Holiday Inn is a truly marvellous location which puts you in the midst of the best Sydney has to offer. However, before you book anything, please look at www.lordnelson.com.au... you sound like the kind of person who would enjoy what it has to offer (I note that you have already researched the Russell, which is another hotel I love, so I won't try to "push" that.) Any of those three would be wonderful for you, and you are coming in absolutely the best month of the year, so I bet you have a wonderful time.
Regarding how to book....you can book the Lord Nelson right on the site I directed you to... it's relatively inexpensive, though by no means a budget choice, and the ambience of the area it is situated in is old-world, not too tarted-up for the tourists, and totally lovely.... near a fine old church, practically opposite the path leading up Observatory Hill, trees and greenery like you wouldn't expect 400 metres from the Rocks. Happy hunting!

Jan 24th, 2003, 07:48 AM
bill simpson

Alan always provides good info. Even if you don't stay at the Lord Nelson, at least walk into that area - it's just around the corner from the Rocks. Go up the hill past the Mercantile, turn right at the top of the hill & you will past by the historic old church, historic Hero of Waterloo Hotel, & many very quaint townhouses on the way to the Lord Nelson. My wife & I went there everyday for a break & a brew. You will love Sydney - so much to do & see.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO