Recommend a 2-3 day sail/cruise?

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommend a 2-3 day sail/cruise?

Hi there,
Our 4 week itinerary in Australia is filling up, but our time around Brisbane is yet to be decided. We fly in on a Tuesday at midday, leave Sunday evening for Cairns, so have 5 full days and nights in the area.

One of the things we thought we'd like to do from here is a short sail/cruise, and I'd like to book this before we settle anything else to do in the Brisbane area. The sailing itself is pretty much optional (apologies to any enthusiasts), we really just want to laze, swim, snorkle, eat, etc. Are there boats which are better equipped with private accomodation (I know many of them have communal cabins), and catering for smallish numbers of people? Can you recommend any I should try? We'll be in Brisbane April 8-13, in case any operators run during limited months of year.

Thanks,
Anna
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 01:36 PM

I am not sure that that facility is available around Brisbane - its not that kind of a place.
You may wish to go to the Gold Coast and perhaps do some trips around the lovely border ranges area and even take a house boat either from Sanctuary Cove and go around the broadwater of the Gold Coast and islands or on the Tweed River.
If you do a search of Gold Coast on either google or web wombat you will see the things that are available around there.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Sorry Liz, I did intend to say that we would travel to get to a base from which sailing/cruising would be more available. Whitsundays is a bit too far North since we have to get back for a Brisbane flight. Will check out your recommendations - thanks.

Anna
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 02:58 PM

No need to apologise AnnaG. The areas around Brisbane are the Sunshine Coast to the north and the Gold Coast to the South - neither has much in the way of cruises or sailings except what I have already mentioned. There are some day trips from Brisbane out to both Morton Island and North Stradbroke but thats only out and back stuff.
The closest real sailing is still the Whitsundays which is only about 1 1/2 hours flying time from Brisbane and of course it does afford the best value in terms of what to do and see along those lines. I will check out the web sites for the Gold Coast and see what I can find for you though.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Try this one:
http://www.queensland-holidays.com.a...oast/index.htm
and this one for the border ranges and National parks of NSW just south of the Gold Coast
http://www.nnsw.com.au/npa/nationalpark.html

HTH
Liz