Search

Question Re: Cook Islands

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: Cook Islands

We are researching Cook islands for a trip at the end of August beginning of September. We are travelling with our 8 yr old son. Anyone (LordBelfor?) have any information on the best luxury resorts on BOTH Rarotongan AND Aitutaki who will accomodate child of 8.

If we decide to go we would split our time between the two islands. Is it a good time of year to go? Any other islands you recommend to visit. We mainly want to enjoy the warm, calm waters and snorkel and other water related activities.

Thanks
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:57 PM

Hi Monsoon!

Just back from the Cook Islands last Thursday on a famil with the Tourism Board.

How much time do you have to spend? Just wondering if you really want to "split" your time or plunk down in one resort, one unpacking, and enjoy!?

Regards,

Melodie
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 01:09 AM

Try Pacific Resort they have resorts both on Rarotonga and Aitutaki. The one in Aitutaki is part of the "Small Luxury Hotels of the World" group www.slh.com and only 3 years old. For luxury they are defintely the best by far in the Cook Islands.
good luck with the trip
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:31 PM

M99....Pacific Aitutaki is "luxury" where as the one on Rarotonga is not that great. Also, LB would know, but isn't there supposed to be an over-the-water bungalow resort on Aitutaki?
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM

I do believe the Pacific Resort on Aitutaki will take kids (even as young as 8) - though you will want to check directly with the resort to verify that. It is without question the nicest place on the island. The Aitutaki Lagoon Resort has some partially overwater bungalows and the best views on the island, but the water there tends to be somewhat murky and the non-overwater units are in need of refurbishment.

On Rarotonga, it's a bit more complicated. The Rarotonga Pacific Resort is the nicest "full" resort (ie with both a swimming pool and a restaurant) and will take kids, BUT, it's major step down from the Aitutaki Pacific Resort. There are several very high-end boutique resorts, specifically Reflections, Rumours of Romance and Sea Change. However, at Sea Change the children must be 12 or older. I'm not sure about Rumours or Reflections (even though I just toured Rumours I forgot to ask about kids) so you should contact them directly, but I don't think either will take any children.

Sooooooooo, your best option on Rarotonga is probably the nicer units at the Pacific Resort, or maybe the Rarotonga Beach Bungalows (again I just toured the place but did not ask about kids).

Ken