Question about Quantas Air

Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Question about Quantas Air

I am leaving next week to go to Sydney and I just heard a (what I consider horrible) report about an overseas/transatlantic flight from the US to Europe on US Air - alcohol is no longer free and neither are the headphones for to watch the television. I know the airlines are cutting back in the US but for an international flight I was shocked. Has anyone flown very recently on Quantas (LAX to Sydney) that can tell me what their current services include in coach?
Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:38 AM
sandi

Yes, a few US carriers have started to charge for alcohol on overseas flights, but far from all.

As to Qantas - Call and ask them, it's a free call - get the info direct from them.

Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:25 PM
Janese

no U in Qantas - I doubt that Qantas would charge for alcohol as they were one of the first to introduce it in the first place - 7 weeks ago it was free if that is recent enough.
But you will have to put up with Australian whites, reds and Champagne along with the spirits.

Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:52 PM

Hi. In the beginning of September there was no charge for either the earphones or the alcohol on our Qantas flight from Sydney to LAX.
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:00 PM

As I recall, everything was free on our Qantas flights (LAX-Sydney roundtrip) in August. We were also given a goody bag with a sleep mask, a toothbrush, and a couple of other items. Food was offered quite frequently. Two hot meals on each flight, plus a generous bag of snacks was handed out to all passengers after the first meal so we could eat as we wanted until the second meal time. (Do ditch uneaten snacks before going through Sydney customs --- they are remarkably strict about incoming food, even packaged food).
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:02 PM

If I can be allowed a personal opinion here, I wish the airlines would ALL start charging for the "extras" like alcohol and even meals..... then maybe they could start cutting their basic prices from the present exorbitant level (I say "exorbitant" because when you get a "special", this is often 50% or more off, so the regular prices must be hugely inflated) in order to let people like myself travel a bit more often. I, for one, wouldn't mind bringing my own packed lunch, and I would certainly be happy to forego alcohol for a few hours(I feel great enough, anyway, just being on my way)!