Duty-free liquor problem on return to Australia

Old Jun 21st, 2008, 10:50 PM
HLW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duty-free liquor problem on return to Australia

We will be returning to Melbourne from an overseas trip, transiting via Sydney Airport. I have heard that if you carry duty-free liquor upon returning to Sydney, customs will, when you transit to board the Melbourne flight, confiscate them as they exceed the 100mL carry-on limit. Has anyone had this experience?
Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 12:36 AM

It shouldn't be a problem as there isn't a 100ml limit on domestic flights, however if you are transiting on an intenrational flight, you are likely to lose it. Remember, you can buy duty free in the airport when you arrive. We never buy it o/s, but pick it up when we arrive.

These are the rules:
http://tinyurl.com/3j8r2h
Australian airports
In Australia, you can collect or purchase duty free once you have passed through international screening for your international flight. At Darwin and Adelaide, domestic and international passengers are screened through the same screening point. These airports will have a separate international screening area for international flights after the first screening point.

Please keep in mind, if you are transiting through any other international airports, you may be screened for liquids, aerosols and gels. You may be asked to surrender anything over 100ml, including duty free. It is advisable that you check your transit information with your airline before you leave Australia.

In addition, if you have any international transits within Australia for example, Melbourne - Sydney - Singapore, you may be re-screened at the transit stop e.g. Sydney. As a result, you will be asked to surrender any liquids aerosols and gels, including duty free that you have purchased.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:42 AM

I bought duty free in Paris last year and upon boarding the flight to Sydney in Bangkok (having already cleared several security checks) it was taken off me as being over 100ml. even though it was in a sealed duty free bag. It was lovely Cassis, I was fuming, but there was nothing I could do.

I can't quite see how you can get your duty free, unless you can still buy it in Melbourne upon your arrival. You could check at the Duty Free shops in Sydney during your transit to see whether they will sell it to you.

Schnauzer
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:44 AM

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/tra.../LAG/duty.aspx
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 04:08 AM
HLW
Original Poster

Thanks all for your advise. The scenario is based on returning from Tokyo to Melbourne, transiting Sydney ( unfortunately QANTAS has cancelled Melbourne - Tokyo direct return flight from Sept. - so we have to transit Sydney ). I was thinking about getting duty-free Sake at Tokyo airport but looks like it won't get pass screening at Sydney. Hmmm... wonder what happens to all the confiscated liquor/perfumes?
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 07:24 AM

I don't believe there are any liquid restrictions for flights within Australia and you're not making an international transit at Sydney, just domestic. And it looks like you can purchase liquids after security for flights from Japan to Australia http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...CarryOnCountry