Queenstown - rainy weather

Nov 17th, 2019, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Queenstown - rainy weather

Hi, I am planning to come to New Zealand for a week of sightseeing towards the end of November. Forecasts indicate rain every day of that week. I plan to spend most of my time in Queenstown and surrounding areas (Milford Sound as well). How disruptive is rain at this time of the year? I realize forecasts change fast but still, I am worried that I will get stuck in my hotel room most of the time... Any insights from those that have either been there during rainy weeks, or from folks that live in the Queenstown area? Thanks!
Nov 19th, 2019, 12:49 AM

I live in Dunedin, which is less than a 4 hour drive from Queenstown. Both are in the region of Otago, though we are on the coast and Queensland is inland at a higher elevation.
Spring is the rainiest time of year for us, but we also enjoy sunny weather. Today, for instance, we had blue skies and dry, warm sunny weather on and off, but in-between we had some heavy downpours and some hail. You can probably expect the same inland. My guess is you'll enjoy more sunny weather than rain. But--and I know you already understand this--there are no guarantees. Lake Wakitipu is already at high levels for this time of year:
https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/queens...rt-level-looms

But rain is no reason to be a shut-in. What were you original plans? If you plan on hiking, bring a waterproof jacket with hood, waterproof shoes/boots, waterproof or quick-dry pants so you'll be prepared for rain. You can buy waterproof pants at the Warehouse in Queenstown for NZ$18 (at today's exchange rate this would be US$12). Jeans are not a good thing to wear in wet weather.I also have a waterproof cover for my daypack.

The weather can change very quickly. Yesterday, I left my house to walk down to the swimming pool at the beach, about a 7-minute walk. When I left it was pouring heavy rain, so I donned my waterproof jacket, waterproof pants, and waterproof hiking boots. When I got to the pool, the sun had come out and the skies had turned blue. It changed that quickly.

Wanaka get less rain than Queenstown (just in case you're planning on going to Wanaka).

Milford Sound is considered by many to be more beautiful in the rain or after heavy rains as there are more waterfalls. It's one of NZ's rainiest places and it's surrounded by lush, ultra-green temperate rainforests.

Last edited by Diamantina; Nov 19th, 2019 at 12:52 AM.
Nov 19th, 2019, 06:29 AM

Put on your waterproof clothing and just go! NZ is beautiful, rain or shine.