Rydges Queenstown? And Queenstown restaurants?

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Dawn

Rydges Queenstown? And Queenstown restaurants?

We are booked in a deluxe room at the Rydges Queenstown....does anyone have experience with the deluxe rooms? We certainly don't expect luxury, just hope for some extra room at a good view. <BR><BR>We'd also appreciate any restaurant recommendations.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Dawn

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 02:56 PM
John

We stayed at the Rydges Queenstown on two different ocassions. 3 days in November of 1999 and 10 days in November 2000. I don't know that we had a deluxe room, but our room overlooked Lake Wakipitu and the snow capped Remarkables Mountain Range. The scenery was breathtaking. We paid NZ$100 both times for a double. The rooms were nicely appointed with plenty of room for our needs. The staff was very attentive.<BR>There's a very nice breakfast buffet again with the view.<BR>There are plenty of restaurants in Queenstown including McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut and other American chains. We liked Roaring Megs for a candle light dinner. But we really enjoyed the Lake Wakipitu dinner cruise on the TSS Earnslaw. Very romantic.<BR>Just writing about it makes me yearn to be back there.<BR>If you'd like details, email me. Be glad to help. We also visited Christchurch, Dunedin, Invercargill, Rotorua, Wellington and Auckland, as well as day trips to sites from these points.<BR>You truely will fall in love with New Zealand.<BR>John <BR><BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Hans

I stayed at this hotel several years ago when it was simply the Lakeland Resort. We had a deluxe room and, to be honest with you, I can not recall too much about the room except that it was quite comfortable and had absolutely spectacular views. The room had a window seat where we would sit in the morning and the evening to watch the sun rise and set over the Remarkable Mountains and the lakes. In terms of restaurants, we really enjoyed The Cow--a pizza and pasta joint with a roaring fire and very good food. There was also a very good Indian restaurant and Japanese Restaurant. We simply fell in love with Queenstown and all of New Zealand--in Queenstown make sure you take a jet boat ride and if you are up to it go rafting down the Shotover River. John's comment about the lake cruise is well taken and you should definitely do it. Also make sure you make the trip to Milford Sound. Like John, we completed a full circle of the South Island (and the North Island as well) and I would be happy to answer any other questions you have. You will absolutely love N.Z.!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:44 PM
tina

hi,<BR>i didn't stay at the rydges but wanted to add to the restaurant recommends. i really enjoyed the japanese restaurant there (minami?), but avoid the pot au feu. we had a really bad experience there and the waiter was just a snob. it's too bad too because the place was really charming...<BR>have a great time. wish i were going back!

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Sherril

We didn't stay at the Rydges but noted its great location. The other advice given you is very good. We have just returned. Five of us really enjoyed our dinner at Boardwalk.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Suzie

near Queenstown a suggestion for lunch...Gibbston Winery (not sure of spelling)if weather is nice you can eat outside. we ate there twice and the food and wine is wonderful!!!!!!!!