Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Queenstown .anyone know about fly fishing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a little search and found a few names....anyone know a great guide? and the spots to hit?
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 02:26 PM

You haven't had much response to your post, so although I am not a fisherman, I've had a look in the Southern Lakes product manual, and found a couple of fishing guides.

Fishing Boat trips.
www.fishing-queenstown.co.nz
[email protected]
2 hrs, $100pp
4 hrs $200pp
Incl license & fishing tackle.

Queenstown Fishing Guides & Charters
www.queenstowncharters.co.nz
[email protected]

$60 pp per hour
Boat charter (1-8 pax $200 per hour
Bring your own gear

You will need a special license for the Southern Lakes. Includes Whakatipu, Wanaka,Te Anau, Manapouri, & all rivers flowing in or out.

You don't need a guide to go fishing, although I guess the local knowledge would be an advantage. Around Queenstown I think Glenorchy would be the best place to start, in the Dart or Rees rivers. There are probably fish in the Kawarau, and it is very handy to Queenstown. There are a lot of nice beaches between Queenstown & Glenorchy: choose a spot where a stream runs into the lake and you will have agood chance of getting a fish. Mostly you will get Brown Trout, and possibly the occasional Rainbow Trout. In Lake Te Anau there are also Atlantic Salmon.
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

thank you,I had found a guide who charges 475 for one person half day trip but I think it was for semi- professional fisherman...My DH has only fly fished a couple other times...
We all fished in lake Yellowstone...we trolled for trout and that was fun I think that's like.... the one you found vbca and it's reasonable!
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 04:03 PM

I think if your DH is not a dedicated fisherman then a couple of hours trolling would be the most enjoyable for everyone. Take a nice lunch, and a few tinnies and who cares if you get a fish?
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

you are right...we have a boat and he fishes but not fly fishing.My dad taught him but I think my dad would do better in NZ as he ties flies etc.and actually catches trout.
I'm wondering if they really catch fish trolling....we did in Yellowstone.
Yes, even so it would be a nice ride and it has a toilet and closed cabin for me.I got so sick in Cabo on a fishing trip...I swore never again...I wanted to die but There I would at least see the shore and make them turn back.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 12:05 AM

You can definitely catch fish by trolling, and the best part is there is no skill required. It can get rough on Lake Wakatipu, but I doubt they would go fushing if it was too bad. You will never be out of sight of the shore, so you cah run for cover if it gets too rough. Anyway, chumming is a good way to attract fish
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Ha! it takes a little more skill than that!It's not like shooting them in a barrel...they can jump off when you trying bringing them in....or you could get no bites at all...I doubt If I could survive 20 minutes in that lake..haha