Anybody tried fishing in Lake Wanaka?

Nov 5th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Anybody tried fishing in Lake Wanaka?

Hi,

I m planning a trip to NZ in Dec, come across some fishing info from the tourism website..wonder if it would be a nice activity to have in NZ..
anybody tried it?

m considering to make "boat fishing"..
the pic posted on this site is attractive..
http://www.adventure.net.nz/fishing.htm

comments?
Nov 6th, 2004, 10:08 AM

dhui - I have fished Lake Wanaka, but not from a boat, but from the shoreline. I was in the south island of NZ for about 8 weeks, touring in a campervan, so you can see I had plenty of time to fish various rivers & lakes. And yes, I did catch trout from the shoreline at Wanaka, but I must say, my favourite fishing spot was nearby...Lake Hawea. Its important to obtain a fishing license for NZ, and I also found that I caught more trout in NZ on the NZ lures, rather than the Australian lures.
You will find boat fishing more expensive, especially if its organised trout fishing.
Nov 6th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

thx, tropo.

but as i m a beginner in fishing, would the experience be an enjoyable one? or, I would be just sitting there for a half-day w/o a fish?
Nov 7th, 2004, 11:18 AM

fishing from a boat doesn't always guarantee fish...its just the luck of the draw. I never had a problem catching fish from the shoreline, but then, hey, I had all the time in the world to go fishing. I also walked around the shoreline, to cover more likely fishing spots. If you are short on travel time, then I would opt for boat fishing, but in my circumstances, I enjoy walking and casting out into the lakes at various locations. I find it very relaxing. In NZ, the lakes & mountains are so beautiful, then even if you don't catch a fish, the scenery makes up for it.
Nov 8th, 2004, 04:51 PM

I just saw on TiVo that there will be a show about New Zealand trout fishing on the OLN (outdoor living network?) cable channel, 11/15 at 3:00pm central.
I thought you may be interested.