Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Quantas seat upgrades / Sydney airport transportation

May 17th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any info on how to upgrade our seats from economy to the next level on Quantas? They quoted me $1500 US per seat, per flight!! We need 3, and that would be more than we paid for the tickets in the first place!! Are there tricks to use with points? Even upgrading to the bulkhead would be good, as my husband is 6'6".

Also, what is the best way to get from the Sydney airport to the Marriott at Circular Quay? We are 2 adults, 1 child.
Thank you all!
Gabriella
May 17th, 2009, 08:20 PM

I'm not too sure on the steps in seat grades right now for it has usually been economy, business and first class and $1500 to go from economy to business is about right, probably another $2000 or so up to first class.

Did hear that some airlines had an economy plus, but not sure on whether Qantas are doing that.

I'm about 6'2" and have always managed to squeeze in but what I also do when flying is be prepared to allocate some time to be at the airport for about first to check in and ask about being allocated an exit row seat [even better than bulkhead] and he'll have absolutely no problems with leg room.

And though you may feel it is a drag getting to airports early, look upon it as not wasting a heap of time standing in a queue and being able to browse shops, get a newspaper/coffee or even organise to have a meal after check in if timing is right, and just generally relax.
You'll probably have an easier run getting to airport too!

As for the Marriot on arrival, have you checked to see whether they have a pick-up service as many of the larger hotels do - could be something on their web site or email them.

Alternately, if they don't or charge a hefty fee, you have the options of:
1. Shuttle Bus - look for kiosk that sells tickets near exit doors and about $12/h in a mini bus, cheapest but depending on who else is aboard it could be ducking and weaving about city streets a bit - get to see something of the city though.

2. Take the train which is about $15 one way and bit less than double for a return and if you're in Sydney a few days have a look at the transport passes that include rail/ferries/buses other than tourist explorers on www.131500.com.au for you can reduce your rail fare in as the pass covers rail part but you still have to pay an airport platform admission charge, there being a station right at Circular Quay.

3. Taxi - quickest and I'd have a rough guess and say about somewhere inbetween what you'll pay for three shuttle tickets or a standard rail fare.
May 18th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Marriott does not offer shuttle service, so the shuttle you mentioned sounds good. Is there one in particular we should look for? Like you said, we might even see a little of the city on the way.

We are planning on getting to SFO with plenty of time to spare, so maybe we will give it a shot.
May 18th, 2009, 02:33 PM

You can try to upgrade using FF points on the Qantas website, your tickets have to be eligible however, if you got cheap tickets you probably don't qualify. Even when you do have the right ticket they don't guarantee an upgrade, usually you apply on online, and then are duly disappointed at the airport.

Qantas tend to give the bulkhead seats to people with babies as there are cots that attach to the wall. Being that tall I'd think your husband would have a favourite for the emergency exist seats. You could try to contact Qantas now and get preassigned seats.
May 18th, 2009, 03:09 PM

your booking on Qantas website will show whether your seats are eligible for upgrades on points. You just show that you want to be eligible for an upgrade up to 24 hours before flight departs.I have had 80% succes rate with these upgrades.
As Susan7 says ring and ask for the exit seats anyway-they may be free/available.I have had seats allocatted since November for a flight in May to US
May 18th, 2009, 08:48 PM
SnR

I would strongly recommend NOT taking the shuttle from the airport. It is a horrible way to arrive at that beautiful city unless you happen to be the first one off. They are crowded, go a circuitous route and not air conditioned. With three people, you are better off taking a taxi. There was a discussion here around Christmas 2007 and other people agreed with me about the uncomfortable, frustrating shuttles. It was unpleasant both ways, so save yourself some frustration and get a taxi! Then have a wonderful time, it's guaranteed!
Sally in Seattle aka SnR aka SnRSeattle
May 18th, 2009, 10:06 PM

I did not mind the shuttle but agree it can be a bit of a cattle truck. If you have a reasonable number in your group a cab could work well. Outside of peak hour when I caught one earlier this year it cost be about $38 if you go stuck in traffic (morning peak arrival particularly) it could be closer to $45 I guess.