Search

qantas ticket problems

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:47 PM
Rachel

qantas ticket problems

Hi. I was wondering if any of you could help us with this one. My husband and I are coming to Australia in August from the United States. We were all set to book our tickets for domestic travel with Qantas, having found some great fares on the web. Then, we called them to confirm the prices/find out if there were any better deals, etc. The ticketing agent told me that because we are U.S. citizens and not in Australia, we couldn't book at those fares and instead had to buy a "boomerang pass" which, they informed me was a "great deal". Except that it works out to about $400 more usd! Then, I called Qantas in Australia to confirm this policy and they said that was it, but that I could buy the tickets once I was in Australia at the Internet fare if they were still available. <BR><BR>We don't know what to do and really don't want to have to pay an extra $400 usd. Does anyone have a suggestion? We're planning to go from Sydney-Melbourne; Melbourne-Proserpine; and Proserpine-Sydney. <BR><BR>Thanks for your help.<BR><BR>-Rachel

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 09:18 PM
Alan

Hi, Rachel!<BR>Well, I can't say that I know what to do about this one, but if it were me I would definitely not go into the Boomerang Pass, since Qantas admits that you can buy at the going rate when you arrive! I can't imagine the going rate would have gone up $AUD750!<BR>Another idea... if you can book on the net using an international credit card, can you not give them the address of the place that you plan to stay in Sydney or Melbourne? Does Qantas have to know you are not an Australian citizen?

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 09:35 PM
Liz

I agree with Alan. I would just go ahead and book these tickets on the web. <BR>All they ask is that you pay for them with a credit card and then arrive at the ticket desk at the airport with ID, although I think that they require an email address. <BR>Alternatively try www.virginblue.com.au which is the other airline and perhaps their system is better. <BR>Good luck

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 11:12 PM
Debbie

Hi Rachel-<BR>I didn't know a thing about the Qantas policy and booked 4 internal flights through Qantas' website back in April! I hope I don't have a problem--I leave for Australia in about 10 days (but am flying AirNZ for the international flights)...At any rate, I was able to complete the booking online and saved several hundred bucks v. Boomerang fare. I remember having to enter an Australian phone # to get started w/ the booking process, but I THINK I used my US address later on. I know everything went through b/c I recieved the email confirmation immediately and the charges have already appeared on my credit card. Good luck,<BR>Debbie

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 11:21 PM
Debbie

Rachel, One more thing that might be helpful for you to know--I too am a US citizen. I used a regular 'ole Visa and AMEX to book those four tickets. I don't want to steer you wrong, but I would imagine if you can complete the booking, you'll be fine. At least I hope so, because if that's not the case, I'm in trouble!<BR>Debbie

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Joe

Use an Australian address etc. Or find a travel agent in Australia who can book the tickets for you - that is what I did a few years ago.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Jacqui

Hi Rachel,<BR><BR>I'm from the UK and I've booked tickets from Qantas using an Australian address twice (last time was 4 weeks ago) - so I see no reason why this method will not work for you.<BR><BR>Jacqui

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Rachel

Thank you SO much for the advice. I'm considerably less worried now. We will try to book either through a travel agent in Australia or using our hotel's address. One question, though, what is an "international credit card" that Alan, I think, referred to? Is it just a Mastercard or Amex, or would we have to get a special card?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help!<BR><BR>-Rachel

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:25 PM
liz

An Int. cc is just one of the big 4 i.e. Visa, M/C, B/C and Amex. Diners is not widely used here.<BR>I agree with the other writer too that you could use the address of your hotel in Australia.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 02:21 PM
John

Rachel:<BR>You have been given sound advice. We used a travel agency in Tasmania for travel there. He arranged for our tickets to be mailed to our hotel in Melbourne. Not a hint of trouble. <BR>John<BR>Jackson, Tennessee

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:05 PM
oztravel

I booked domestic tickets (cairns to sydney- one way) while in Australia two months ago through their webpage and even used my california address. i had no problems at all checking in at the airport and never even heard of the boomerang thing. of course, i never spoke to a travel agent or a qantas rep either.