2 day trip to Cairns

Apr 16th, 2002, 09:50 PM
kara

2 day trip to Cairns

We have a planned a vacation to Australia in May. We have planned days in Sydney,Blue Mts, Brisbane(friends) and 2 nights in Cairns we arrive at 11 pm on Friday and have a flight at 6am on Sunday morning. Any idea's for plans? We want to go to the reefs, so a day trip to some where? Are there many boats that go to different locations? How is the local rainforest? We made a reservation at the Radisson, but any other less $$ accomidations, but nice!!

Thanks for the info. Kara

Apr 17th, 2002, 01:40 AM
kenny

If you fly into Cairns friday night and leave Sunday, your reef trip will have to be Saturday. There are many, many different boats--Some go to the near reef islands and others that go to the real reef. Those take at least 90 minutes each way, plus dive time, so it will eat up most of your day. You would be able to go to the rainforest if you sign up for a night tour on Saturday.

Apr 17th, 2002, 02:09 PM
kara

thanks for the info, actually we arrive 11AM on friday. Any suggestions for things do do. Places to eat and clubs in the area.

Thanks, KARA

Apr 17th, 2002, 09:22 PM
marg

I think the Radisson in Cairns is located over the boat terminal so you are in the right place for reef trips. If you get in at 11am, I'm assuming you won't get to your hotel until 12.30 ish so that doesn't leave much time. You could hire a car for the day and drive to Kuranda and the Atherton Tableland, or drive north to Port Douglas for the afternoon - about 40 minutes from the airport.
Obviously if you do a full day trip to the reef, there goes Sunday. The alternative is to do a half-day trip to Green Island. Book your reef trip as soon as you can as they are often fully booked.
We have often had dinner at Charlies at the Acacia Hotel on the Esplanade - a longish walk from the Radisson but at about $20 Aust. you can have an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet in a nice location. There are also lots of restaurants at the Pier and along the Esplanade.
Hope you have a good time.

Jun 23rd, 2002, 08:33 AM
Neil

Caution! If you are hiring a car in Cairns DO NOT USE Topless car hire Be Warned

Jun 24th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Mia

Hi Kara,

My husband and I spent a few days up in the Cairns area a few years ago and stayed at a wonderful B&B just outside of Cairns at Trinity Beach. It is called Absolute Beachfront B&B - we definitely recommend it. MUCH less expensive than the big resorts, the owners were nice, breakfast was delicious, the place was gorgeous, the other guests were great, and the owners were able to help us with any arrangments (such as getting out to the reef). You can see photos at http://www.absolutebeach.com.au/
We didn't feel as though we missed out on anything by not being right in Cairns. We went in for a few dinners and were glad to be staying elsewhere, although I'm sure there are nice areas.

Have a wonderful time!

-Mia

Search this Thread