Qantas cancels AKL-LAX service.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts

Qantas has announced that it will discontinue its Auckland - Los Angeles nonstop service in May, basically giving Air NZ a monopoly on the route. Oy.

Passengers with existing bookings will presumably be re-routed via Oz, or else (lucky winners) accommodated on Qantas partners Air Pacific (Fiji) or Air Tahiti Nui, with en route stops in those countries.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/loca...to-LA-services
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Qantas CEO is determined to further trash the brand and drive it down to the level of a pitiable budget airline. Such a shame to see a great airline (and one of the few in the world still profitable) be destroyed - and yes, I always fly - and pay - for Qantas in preference to any other airline, if possible. It had a great safety record, always very good staff on board, and the food was more bearable than most comparable airline food.

Not so sure about Air NZ, it seems to have gone downhill over the years. The last three times I flew with them (over two years ago) the service was really appalling on board, so much so that I made an official complaint, which is unusual for me. It will be "interesting" to watch developments.....
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 01:15 AM

It's sad what's happening to Qantas, I entirely agree with you Libretto.

I hear they are also going to abandon the Sydney-Buenos Aires route, which is one of my favourites.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 07:10 AM

Well, QANTAS has to find the money from somewhere, to pay for the CEO's recently granted obscene payrise.=(
To get a QANTAS flight to most destinations, you have to go via Sydney. I know Melbourne's Mel-HKG=LHR service is finishing up soon. Will Sydney's? I doubt it.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM
tt7

Ugh ... why is it you can't mention QF without someone making inane comments about trashing the brand or the CEO's pay? As for MEL-HKG-LHR service "finishing up soon", it's only the HKG-LHR portion that is being withdrawn. Once you get to HKG, you can take CX or BA to LHR. Presumably, some people think it makes sense to have 3 members of the same alliance flying HKG-LHR, whereas QF presumably has decided it does not?
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 08:10 AM

I believe that Continental (which will by then be the new United) will start its own LAX-AKL service next year.
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd be very surprised to see United go head-to-head with partner and fellow Star Alliance Air New Zealand on one of NZ's signature routes.

A year or so ago (pre-merger) Continental announced that one if its first 787 routes would be Houston - Auckland nonstop, but I don't know where that idea now lies within United's digestive system.