Qantas baggage info

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qantas baggage info

I'm asking this question on here because it's convenient and I'm flying Qantas soon. I don't seem to get any Q's answered on the airline section. I plan on checking a duffle bag w/ wheels & bring my other medium suitcase on board along with my backpack which will go under the seat. My Q is, would I be able to bring both the suitcase & backpack onboard? Their site says only 1 item and I don't know how Qantas are on this policy. I see the backpack as a personal item and shouldn't affect anyone's space. Anyone have any thoughts or comment's on Qantas & luggage? I know flying in the US, it's perfectly fine but I've never flown international before. Thanks in advance, only 2 more days to go!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM

There's no definite answer. Qantas is often more lenient than other airlines, but you can't guarantee that. Look at the carry-on weight restrictions, too!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Hi Bluestructure,

Provided your "medium" suitcase fits in the size & weight restrictions for QF you will be fine. I'm thinking the backpack must be around the size of a largeish handbag if it will go under the seat.

International allowances are traditionally a little more generous than domestic in Australia, but I don't know about your domestic, so can't really compare.

This link might give you what you need.
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...eCarryOn#jump0

Good for you - making your first International trip one to Australia is a great choice!!! You're going to have such a good time!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks but I'm going to just go ahead with it & if I have to check it, I will. The only reason I'm carrying it is to reduce time waiting for 2 pieces of luggage to come around & also having it lost. Less than 24 hrs to go!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Qantas is more restrictive on the weight of luggage than are US carriers. There may be some leniency and it may depend on connecting airport, who is on duty at check in, etc. However, their stated weight for a single carry on is 15lbs. You're allowed one carry on in economy. The carry on weight limit on American Airlines is 40lbs.

We travel fairly light, but do bring a few extra things along as gifts for family when we go back to Australia. We've taken a bag on board for the US portion that we were then required to check for the Qantas flight.

If it will fit under the seat, I'm guessing you'd probably be ok.

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:57 PM

Just for your info: I've just returned from a Melbourne - Adelaide - Melbourne Qantas trip. On the Mel - Adl flight I checked in at the auto kiosk and took on board a small wheelie suitcase plus handbag plus computer-in-bag. On the Adl-Mel flight there are no auto kiosks so you have to line up and do the whole annoying check in shemozzle. My wheelie suitcase was 1 kg overweight and they made me check it.

The amazing thing was that since they checked most peoples' bags, boarding was superfast (no idiots clogging up the aisle trying to stuff their huge bags in the overhead lockers) and the plane took off early.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, everything seemed to work out okay with Qantas. They were really great to fly with. My 1st trip to Australia is complete now & I had a great time!

Unfort, I had no luggage to check with Qantas or bring with me to OZ thanks to Southwest. After 2 days, things did get waay better! I'll post a trip report when I get some sleep, just made it in today.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Is their seating as cramped as carriers flying to Europe (from the US)?? We cannot afford to fly business class, and my husband is concerned about a lack of legroom (for too many hours.)
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

The economy seating is similar to Southwest, seat width is 17.2" & pitch is 31". We sat in row 70 where the seat configuration is 2x4x2. The 2 seats on the ends are A&B, J&K in rows 70-73 only so there is only 8 sets of 2 seaters in the rear of the plane. The seat closest to the window isn't really a window seat because there is a space between, your husband could easily stretch out a little bit more. There is also more privacy here and nobody has to sit in the middle for such a long flight. I do recommend row 70 because the closer you get to the rear you have people standing up or waiting in line for the bathrooms during the flight. You could also get bulkhead seating but your TV and tray will be in the armrest and those don't go up due to that fact. www.seatguru.com has good tips and diagrams. I hope this helps some, I'm glad I'm not a tall person but my partner is 6'1 and seating in 70A helped him some. Qantas says they don't guarantee any specific seat requests made but we requested 70 A/B and had no problem obtaining those seats.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 12:46 PM

Thanks!! That information is most helpful!