Search

Qantas domestic excess baggage limits?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qantas domestic excess baggage limits?

Greetings all,

I'll be in Sydney in July for a conference and will be flying up to Cairns for some snorkeling, then flying back to Sydney for a couple of days before returning to the US. I have coach-class reservations on Qantas for Sydney-Cairns. I'll probably be taking two suitcases (one for snorkel gear and gifts), plus a carry-on. Of course, that's no problem for the US-Sydney flights, but I see that the domestic flights are limited to one check-in bag in coach. The Qantas site is a bit confusing regarding additional bags. I'm not sure if I can pay extra for the second piece or if that is just an option for Qantas frequent flyers in coach. I'm sure the readers here have experience with this. Any info would be welcome.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:28 PM

I took the Qantas Cairns to Sydney flight right before New Year's (2002-3). My checked luggage was 2 pounds over the weight limit and I had to remove shoes and clothing. They ended up in my carry-on. Did not understand their reasoning. All my possessions ended up on the flight, what difference is it if they are in the cargo hold or in an overhead bin?
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Janese

It matters a great deal, safety wise, if items are in the hold or in the overhead. Remember Qantas has a safety record second to none and has not got it by being airy fairy about what goes where and anyone who has flown on US airlines and seen what goes as cabin baggage will attest to the free for all when trying to stash anything.
To answer XY's question. Why not contact Qantas in the USA and ask them what you asked us. Generally speaking though they would just add the extra bag to the one that you are checking-in. You biggest problem will be weight and not the number of bags. I always use a very large bag together with a carryon because of the ease of handling only two items and not three.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 04:00 AM
sandi

Most sites can be confusing re luggage allowance, weights, etc.

Call Qantas direct and get the info from them.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

I'm asking this question here because my previous experiences with other airlines have shown that what the person on the other end of the phone says is many times not what is practiced when you get to the counter. Given the ambiguities on the Qantas website (which is probably just what their representative would be interpreting), I want to know what actually happens based on people's experiences.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:02 PM

Just flown back to Australia from Canada - our last leg was on a Qantas domestic flight, economy class. We had a suitcase each plus a large carton, plus carry-on bags. I understand that because we were transferring from an international flight from North America (with more generous luggage allowances) we were allowed to carry these allowances onto to the domestic flight. Certainly didn't strike any problems.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:00 AM
sandi

When flying an intl' flight (across Atlantic or Pacific) with a connection to a domestic flight as your final destination the luggage rules (weights, sizes) are based on the int'l allowances.

Within a country domestic-to-domestic then it's the domestic allowances.

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Janese

I am sorry XZ Tauri but I cannot see any ambiguity on the Qantas website - I think it is very informative:
This is cut and pasted from the Qantas website and is in metric and other weight so as not to be unfathomable.

Carry On Baggage

For the safety and comfort of all our customers, and to ensure compliance with Civil Aviation Safety Authority Regulations, it is necessary to limit the size, weight and number of each customers carry on baggage.
Personal articles such as an overcoat, handbag, umbrella, walking stick, small camera, duty free items and some reading matter for the flight may be carried in the cabin.
Passengers (except infants) on Qantas are allowed the following carry on baggage:

Route Piece Allowance & Dimensions Weight Allowance

Australian and New Zealand Domestic All Classes:
2 x 105cm bags or
1 x 105cm bag plus 1 x 185cm non rigid garment bag or
1 x 115cm bag 7kg (15lbs) per piece

Dash 8 1 x 105cm bag 4kg (9lbs) total

All International First/Business:
2 x 115cm bags or
1 x 115cm bag plus 1 x 185cm non rigid garment bag
Economy:
1 x 115cm bag or
1 x 185cm non rigid garment bag 7kg (15lbs) per piece

Note: USA exception
Carry on baggage limits have changed for passengers in all classes within and from the US, due to government regulations. Passengers may only carry on one bag plus a personal item - such as a purse, briefcase, laptop, backpack or similar - per passenger. Medical assistance items (crutches, wheelchairs, etc) are exempt from this requirement. These limits are strictly enforced at all airport security checkpoints and on board departing Qantas flights. This new limitation only impacts on the allowance for First and Business Class customers. Economy Class limits are unaffected.

Baggage Dimensions

Total dimensions are measured by adding together the depth, height and length of the bag.

105cm = 48cm (L) + 34cm (H) + 23cm (D)
115cm = 56cm (L) + 36cm (H) + 23cm (D)
185cm = 60cm (L) + 114cm (H) + 11cm (D)

Please be aware that stowage limitations apply on some QantasLink operated services.

All Flights
In addition to the carry on baggage referred to above, the following items may be carried free of charge:

Infants food for consumption in flight and infants carry basket*,
A fully collapsible wheelchair* and/or a pair of crutches and/or walking stick and/or other prosthetic device for you if you are dependent on them.
* Infants carry baskets and wheelchairs may be used to board the aircraft, then will be stowed in the aircraft hold.

Laptop computers are a special item, which may be carried as carry on baggage subject to a number of conditions. They:

Must conform to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations
Must be totally noiseless. (Use of printers inflight will not be permitted)
Must not be used during take-off and landing
Must not interface with the aircraft's power supply; and
Are subject to x-ray inspections on disembarkation.
At Australian international and domestic terminals laptop computers will be subject to an additional security check. Before x-raying, the laptop computer must be removed from its carry case. All items will then be x-rayed separately. If the screener is unable to satisfy that the computer does not contain a weapon or explosive device, it is to be subjected to trace detection.

In terms of carry on baggage allowance, laptop computers and small video camera units constitute one carry on bag equivalent.

Checked Baggage

Passengers (including children) on Qantas are allowed the following baggage. No single item may exceed 32kg in weight.

Route Piece Allowance and Dimensions Weight Allowance

Australian Domestic Business: 3 pieces
Economy: 1 piece
Infants: Nil 32kg (70lbs) per piece

Dash 8 Economy: 1 piece
Total dimensions* of each piece must not exceed 140cm (54in)
Infants: Nil 20kg (44lb) total

New Zealand Domestic Business: 3 pieces
Economy: 2 pieces
Total dimensions* of each piece must not exceed 140cm (54in)
Infants: Nil Business: 32kg (70lbs) per piece
Economy: 32kg (70lbs) total

Travel to/from USA, US Territories, Tahiti, South America and Canada^ via the Pacific First: 2 pieces
Total dimensions* of each piece must not exceed 158cm (62in)
Business/Economy: 2 pieces
Total dimensions* of the 2 pieces must not exceed 270cm (106in) with no 1 piece exceeding 158cm (62in)
Infants+: 1 piece
Total dimensions must not exceed 115cm (45in) 32kg (70lbs) per piece

All other International^ First: 40kg (88lbs)
Business: 30kg (66lbs)
Economy: 20kg (44lbs)
Infants+: 10kg (22lbs)