Power adapter Australia

Jun 18th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Power adapter Australia

When would I need a three prong grounded adapter? Is it better to use a grounded 3 prong even if my US equipment is only 2 prong? Thanks
Jun 18th, 2003, 11:06 PM

All power outlets here have the three prong (top two prongs at 45 degrees) configuration. Nearly all appliances have a three prong plug...but is possible to use two prong appliances.

It is possible (but not reccommended) to get a pair of pliers and twist the two prongs on your us appliance to fit...but make sure you have a 220-110 voltage converter before your appliance.

So in summary...get a three prong adapter and make sure you have a 220-110 voltage conversion.
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, John.
Digital camera battery chargers and even my laptop only has 2 prongs but I will buy some 3 prong australia configurated adapters here to bring along.
Jun 19th, 2003, 03:54 PM
ALF

Using a 2-prong N. American plug with a 3-prong Oz/NZ adapter will work fine, but of course the grounded connection won't actually be there. Generally, this is not a big deal.
Jun 20th, 2003, 10:29 AM
cr

I used a converter for all my US electronics such as my camera battery charger and it was fine. Although I did notice my curling iron did get hotter than usual. So be careful with what's being converted and realize that it may be getting more current then it's use to.
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:35 PM
MD

Most North American electronics come with power bricks that say "100-240V 50-60Hz". They work fine in Europe (and so in the rest of the world). I took my digital camera, CD-writer and laptop to Italy, and they all worked great on 240V. I took a little N.American octopus block to plug them all in.

I have heard a lot of Euro versions of these appliances do NOT have the 100V capability.

Many of those little bricks don't have a 3rd prong anyway...

From experience - if there is a little switch (120-240) such as on your hair dryer, be SURE the switch is seated all the way over into the 240V setting. Ours wasn't quite set, and -oops - no more hair dryer. No spectacular flash, just stopped working with a smell!

Search this Thread