Please Help with Queensland Outback

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm setting up itinerary for about 3 weeks in November 2008 and I was hoping that I could get some help from the forum.

My itinerary is currently:

7 nights in Sydney (overnight in Blue Mts) 2 nights Ayers Rock 5 nights Palm Cove 4 nights Brisbane

The problem is that I really feel like I should move this around and see either more Outback or maybe Adelaide (Kangaroo Island). I'm just not sure if there's enough time to do that. I know that I'm neglecting Melbourne, but it's only because I live in New York City and don;t have much chance to see nature. I must leave out of Brisbane and need at least a full day for Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary which means at least 2 nights there. I've considered taking 1 night from Sydney and 2 from Brisbane and going by train to Outback in Queensland but I can't seem to figure out where to go. The most convenient would be to take train to Charleville and fly back. Has anyone taken the Westlander Train???

Hard choices, happy to have to make them, but very confused.

Appreciate any help.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:49 PM

ann, as you'll be in Palm Cove anyway, your best bet would be to see some of the outback from Cairns.

Chillagoe is a 2 hour drive, Undara Lava Tubes are 4 hours and its 5 and a half to Cobbold Gorge from Cairns. There's also an outback train service which leaves Cairns every Wednesday, I think, with overnighting in outback. The Savannahlander is the train, it stops at rainforested Kuranda then makes it way outback. www.savannahlander.com.au
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 04:19 AM

You do indeed have tough choices to make. It is a shame you have to cut Melbourne. From there you could see the Great Ocean Road <http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/> and visit Philip Island to see the little penguins <http://www.penguins.org.au/>.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:20 AM

Not sure why you need "at least a full day" at Lone Pine. It's a nice park but certainly not vast. We arrived as it opened which had the advantage of beating all the Japanese tourists on buses to the line for koala-holding, but once past that, you walk around on paths, like a zoo. You can feed roos and wallabies, and there are some lovely wombats and other animals, but I doubt it's a full day excursion. We went on to have a nice lunch at Summit House on the top of Mt. Coot-tha, stunning views.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies...

The reason that we need a full day for Lone Pine is that we wanted to take that tour up the river that starts at 10 and ends at 2. What I meant was that we need to wake up in Brisbane that morning and the morning that we leave.

I did read a bit about Undara and Chillagoe, but I didn't get the impression that they are the stereotypical---nothing is around but vast emptyness and occasionally a sparsely populated town with interesting people/pub, unbelievable night sky---Outback experience, I guess similar to what I imagine Broken Hill to be like.

Should I give up this idea and maybe think about flying into Adelaide instead (for Kangaroo Island)? My fiance has asked that we not go to both Sydney and Melbourne because he lives and works in a city. I can understand his sentiments though obviously the experience in Melbourne would be a lot different than New York.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Though it's been 14 years since I went out to Undara and Chillagoe, I'd guess they would still give you a good flavor of the outback - Undarra for look/feel of the Gulf Savannah and wildlife, and Chillagoe for the small town aspect. The road out to Chillagoe was very rough and unpaved (not sure that is still the case) adding to the feeling of remoteness. We had a few drinks in the pub and got talking to some of the locals - wasn't too far off from "Crocodile Dundee". I'd expect brilliant night skies in both places.

In Brisbane, I'd recommend a trip or tour out to O'Reilly's Guesthouse in Lamington National Park, maybe in lieu of Lone Pine.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Ralph, the road to Chillagoe from Cairns is fine now, just a bit of graded dirt for a short stretch, the rest is sealed and wider than the road from Ravenshoe to Undara. It is prone to flooding in wet season, but November is before that.

Chillagoe (pop of about 200) still has the "frontier outback town" feeling though - a great place to stay is Chillagoe Cabins - www.chillagoe.com - the people there know the area backwards and Garry is also a local guide and he and his wife a wildlife carers.

So there's always native animals about on site as well as well as parrots and other birds galore, kangaroos, wallaroos, wallabies, There's a chain of pretty impressive limestone caves which are open to public (with guide only), night skies are true outback in clarity of stars and sunrise is something special.

The pub still remains, the biggest steak I think I've ever seen (we're in nearby cattle country) and Garry serves a great home-cooked dinner at the cabins.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Wow that really does sound great! Thank you so much.

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Brisbane, like an inn/pub/BB?

Thanks again!