COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Please help me find a b&B in Sydney and Adelaide

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Please help me find a b&B in Sydney and Adelaide

I am going to Australia for the first time in February 2004.

We will be staying in Sydney for a week and then Adelaide for a week. The budget is approx. $100 a day (2 adults, 1 bed).

Instead of Best Western hotels, I think b&b would be in that price range, and it offers more charm and get a better chance to meet other travellers.

Can anyone please recommend some b&b in both cities? why you recommend them (location, friendly host, good breakfast, charming rooms etc.) and the approx. cost (if you know)?

Also, how do I take the train from Sydney to Adelaide.

Thank you very much.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:54 PM

Not sure of pricings but have heard of these two and saw them -- they looked nice ! Good locations!!!

Check out these two or the last one for more options. . .

www.bbsydneyharbour.com.au/
www.therussell.com.au/

A larger list of B&Bs
www.sydneybandb.com.au

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:41 PM

I can't offer any personal recommendations, but for an index of Bed and Breakfast directories in Australia, please see http://www.bed-and-breakfast.au.com/dirdir.htm.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:48 PM

another b&b site is
www.babs.com.au

I reckon b&b prices in oz are significantly higher in real/relative terms than nth america.Do not really understand why.Have a look at the prices...you may find yourself better of at budget hotels..the yha central in sydney offers private rooms at a budget cost and you will meets lots of travellers there.

to go sydney-adelaide by train book on the indian-pacific.
You will find it more expensive than cheap flights at that time of year.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

As for the way to get to Adelaide from Sydney, I would prefer to take the train (best way to see the country) unless it is much more expensive than flying.

As for flying, which airlines fly this route? I know about Quantas, but am not familiar with any local/regional, samller airlines in Australia.

Thanks
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:23 AM

Sydney to Adelaide train is not frequent and very very expensive. Qantas and Virgin Blue are the 2 airlines. Virgin Blue is like Southwest a budget airline. But you can check both as they have good deals on their websites.

B&B's are often not much cheaper than cheap hotels. I would try an Australian site, we usually budget about A$50-90 a day, that is about US$30-50, so it should not be any problem

www.virginblue.com.au
www.qantas.com
www.freewebs.com/sydney_cheap_hotel_rates/
( they do all Oz )
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:35 PM

If you take the indian-pacific train stop over in Broken Hill.It will probably be as hot as hell in Feb. but maybe take a small trip with a local operator to mootawinjee national park and white cliffs(opal town)Stay overnight underground at white cliffs...buy some opal...sink a few at the white cliffs outback pub.