Please compare the Red Centre to the U.S. Southwest

Old Nov 12th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please compare the Red Centre to the U.S. Southwest

My husband and I are huge fans of our southwest national parks, we live in Southern California and never get tired of driving to Zion or the Grand Canyon, to name just a couple, for several days of hiking. We like to spend time in them, on our feet getting sweaty and dusty, not just look at the scenery and leave.

It looks like Kata-Tjuta and the nearby area is a part of the world we would like. For a point of reference, I would love to hear a comparison between this area and Death Valley, Zion, Grand Canyon, Moab. How does the lodging compare? The resort at Uluru looks SO expensive! I have read about the Olgas and Kings Canyon, any other good hiking areas within a reasonable drive?

I am figuring on about 4 nights in October, haven't decided yet whether we should fly into and out of Alice Springs, or the airport at Uluru. We want to rent a car and drive around. I'll have to look at the cost differences between flying to Alice or Uluru, and decide if it would be fun to spend a night at Alice Springs.

Thanks!
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Hi Gigib,

Australia's Red Centre is a magical place. King's Canyon is a treasure and Uluru and Kata Tjuta are very spiritual. I would not compare them to any other place on earth however, if you enjoy places such as Zion then it's fair to say that you won't be disappointed here.

Yes it can be expensive to stay out there - we have always camped so have had the cheaper options - but you have to remember that you are in the middle of nowhere and they provide fantatic facilities - it all comes at a cost.

Camping facilities at Uluru and Kings Canyon are very, very good so perhaps maybe hiring a camper could be an option.

Four days isn't a lot of time to see Uluru and Kings Canyon though. A car from Alice Springs is a great idea as you travel through the West McDonnell Ranges through such gorgeous areas as Ormiston Gorge, Standley Chasm etc. But time may be a problem to do this.

I personally, also fell in love with Palm Valley - a 4WD access only - gosh it's just beautiful there.

There is just so much out there but realistically, Kings Canyon and Uluru are the pick I'd say.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 07:21 PM

I would have to say that there is much more to see easily in south-west USA as Canyonlands, Arches, Zion, Bryce etc etc are fairly close together, so not days of driving. Plus there is much more choice of accommodation, restaurants etc.

Having said that, Kings Canyon is really spectacular and the walk along the top of the canyon is the best we have ever done - you need to allow at least three or four hours and do make sure you take water and something to eat.
Uluru is breathtaking, great to look at particularly at sunrise and sunset. There is a walk around the rock - five or six km I think. The walk through the Valley of the Winds at Kata Tjuta is well worth doing.

All the accommodation at Yulara is owned by the same company so no competition at all. I agree with Stormbird - hire a motor home. You really won't get lost as there is only one road. There are two campgrounds near Kings Canyon and one at Yulara which will give you toilets and showers, laundry and power for the motor home. With a motor home, you can prepare your own meals which will save a lot of money.

Use the motorhome to visit both the East MacDonnell and West MacDonnell Ranges - spectacular scenery in both areas. You can do either in a day from Alice Springs or camp out - several camping grounds in both directions. In Alice Springs, we can recommend the MacDonnell Range Holiday Park - good facilities and just far enough out of town to be quiet.

If you can't spare more than four days, best to fly straight into Yulara and save Alice Springs for another time.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 07:52 AM

If camping or motorhomes don't appeal to you, a good budget option at Uluru is the Outback Pioneer Hotel. We stayed in one of the budget rooms w/o bath a few years ago and it worked out fine for us. The rooms are basic, but they are clean and our bed was quite comfy. The nightly rates for the budget rooms w/o bath will be $220 next October and the nightly rates for the budget rooms with ensuite bath will be $260.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 07:01 PM

I guess the term "budget" is all relative!
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 03:19 AM

We have traveled the SW and also the red center.

The SW is CROWDED compared to the outback.

If you don't mind isolation, bright star lit skies - you will love the outback!

We did!

Old Nov 24th, 2010, 04:07 AM

Personally I thought that the Grand Canyon and the Canyonlands etc were much more interesting compared to the outback of Australia but having said that they are different for many reasons. I would not include the Bungle Bungles in the above comment though and there are other areas that I also would not include but for me the 4 corners of the USA is my favourite area with so much to see and such diversity.
However I love the outback of Australia but for reasons other than scenery.