Sydney in February - Why so cheap?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bestie and I are looking into a trip to Sydney in mid to late February and are getting great rates. We're suspicious. Should we be? Is this a good time of year to visit?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 07:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It's the end of the Christmas school & other holidays. Schools here have about 6 weeks holiday Dec-Feb and lots of locals take their holidays then, too.

Sydney is super busy December and January with tourists & locals; Christmas, New Year's Eve, Festival of Sydney etc., and in early February is just getting back to normal.

The main business travel usually resumes mid - late February, so you will probably notice some very good rates in accommodation & airfares.

It's summer, so hotter than other months and can be humid, but nothing to compare with, say NYC in August.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! This is what we thought but wanted to double check just in case we were missing something. My friend was there mid-December thru Mid-January last year and said it was super crowded and expensive but loved it during that time. We thought February would be better. She can't wait to get back. And I can't wait to check it out for my very first time.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 07:26 PM

You will love Sydney, Melissa. There will still be lots of interesting things on, just fewer people and as you've found -great bargains to be had. You might even catch some the Summer Sales.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Quick question....What kinds of Australian sodas, cocktails, other drinks might we find in town? We like to toast our travels with a local favorite. Thanks!!
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 01:33 PM

Hi Melissa, I think a lot of Australian businesses across the board would say that February is their worst month. It's sort of our recovery month after the December/January period. Everybody has spent up over Christmas and New year etc and time to settle down and catch one's breath.

I'm afraid I'm not much of a drinker but I do know that where I hail from Bundaberg Rum (Bundie Rum as the locals call it)and coke is the drink to be had. My niece actually has a 'Bundie' cupboard and she loves a drop or two.

A lot of Australians today are huge wine lovers and we recently had a weekend with friends at their seaside apartment and he has a wine wardrobe! The boys had disappeared and when we went looking for them - there they all were going through the wardrobe and acting like it was Christmas already.

From what I understand it would be very hard to go wrong with an Australian wine!

I hope you have a great holiday!
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 02:58 PM
dkw

Mmmmm...Bundaberg Ginger Beer. Like Ginger Ale, but better!
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 02:07 AM

Maybe the HEAT has something to do with it!

I have spent several times a week in FEB in Melbourne and Sydney and it was HOT/HOT/HOT! Up to 42°C which isn't fun particularly if clouds are building up which come with huge humidity.

But hey - we are planning already to return in Feb 2011!

We love the destination so much - and the Aussies are extremely pleasant folks......pretty much hand loose - so we simply don't care and yes appreciate the good fares/deals.

Happy planning!

See ya!

Old Nov 24th, 2010, 02:07 AM

should be read: HANG LOOSE! ;-)
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 09:38 AM

Gee, we can't win, can we? We're either "outrageously expensive" or "suspiciously cheap" (LOL)
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies! Counting down the days! It'll be winter here so looking forward to summer. Sundresses, flip flops, cold drinks. We will definitely partake in the local wines and maybe even a a Bundie Rum!

Bokhara2 - May be true, but you're always known for the warmth of people and gorgeous locale. Not too shabby!!