Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Planning next trip to Oz (sigh of extreme satisfaction)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I mostly post on some of the other Fodors forums, but we're just starting to plan our next trip to Australia (last one was 3+ years ago) so I'm back here for help.

This trip will be different, we will have our (then) 18 month old son with us. Luckily we already favour an easy-going style of holiday, with an absence of deadlines and few must-sees or must-do's.

We plan to have a month in total, and intend to be in Australia at the end of December in time for New Year, leaving to come back to the UK at end of January. Some questions if you can help.

1)We're considering staying in 4 different locations for a week each, so that we establish some kind of base and don't move accomodation during that week. e.g. If we started in Sydney, we'd like a beach-house in a good location, with the flexibility to travel a short or longer distance for amusement as desired. What's the best way to go about finding good self-catering type accommodation? (Even if you just have a random suggestion from any part of the country which you think is worth considering)

2)This will be the first time we travel in height of Australian summer/holiday season. Previously we have taken trips in March, April and May. All that we know about this peak time of year is that it will be hotter, and busier. Anything else we should consider?

3)For those of you who have travelled far from home with very young children, anything you wish you'd known before you took the trip?

That'll do for a start, I look forward to talking to you all lots more over the coming weeks and months.

Anna
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:40 AM

Hi AnnaG
To be honest, a week in Melbourne will allow you to see the penguins and get up the other direction to the wineries, Healsville is great by the way.

Have you considered hiring a car and doing it that way? As you Know it's the same side of the road as us Brits and it really is a good way to see the area freely without the constraints of a tour.
With a youngster it may be a blessing to have the luxury of Air con in a car to turn to. We were there a similar time to you and it got up to 41 degrees at Balarat.

Muck
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:51 PM

You will need to keep in mind that the period you are considering will be peak holiday time over here so rentals, particularly in coastal areas, will be very much inflated.
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:19 PM

I was going to say the same as Prue and you will need to book early. The other thing which you may or not know is that January is Sydney festival time so you may catch some good entertainment. Good luck in your planning.
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:44 AM

AnnaG

We are travelling from the UK to Australia in December (cant wait!), just one thing to mention, are you aware of the Ashes tour, I know accomodation is already pretty booked up in Melbourne & Sydney over Christmas and New Year and the air & accomodation prices have gone up enormously since we booked in January.

Kate
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kate,
Thanks for the Ashes warning - I wasn't considering that, although I know my husband was aware. Something to factor in alright. Perhaps we'll do the West coast while the tour is going on.

How long a trip are you taking, then? There's nothing more pleasant than planning a nice trip to Australia!

Anna
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:37 PM

I've got a 17 month old boy and we've travelled extensively with him and the main things to consider are:

If travelling economy, definately buy him a seat, I've just returned from the US and couldn't imagine having him on our laps for that amount of time.

We travelled to Australia with him in Business Class, didn't buy a seat as he's too young to sit still but enough room for him to play with his toys.

We flew on Emirates and stopped off in Dubai for 2 nights, really enjoyed it, then flew via Singapore to Brisbane, this was a long flight (15 hours).

I think its too long and therefore this Sept. We're off to Sydney with Emirates and will stop off in Dubai overnight, then go to Bangkok and stop for 2-3 nights and then head down to Sydney.

An another option is to fly with Gulf Air as they have an onboard nanny who will help with looking after him when you want to eat etc, you can read about it on www.gulfairco.com

The airlines will provide a bassinet for a child to sleep in but your child may be too big for it.

Enjoy your trip

Geordie

Old May 9th, 2006, 05:34 AM

AnnaG

We have been planning the trip since last August! We are going for three weeks and spending time in Melbourne, Sydney and the Gt Barrier Reef. A word of warning if you havent booked everything yet, we booked the flights the days they were released and the price is now £1k more for the 4 of us, we also booked the accomodation Nov last year and one of the apartments that we have booked is now $150 per night more expensive - so dont wait!

As for travelling with an 18 mth - take books / pens etc wrapped up in wrapping paper, then give him them one at a time - opening the toy takes more time and gives more enjoyment than the gift!

Kate
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your really helpful replies!

Anna