NZ South Island X Alpes & Rockies

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I´m planning a trip to New Zealand. As I won´t have much time there, I´m wondering if I should stay all the time on the North, or if I should include the South Island. Which places could I find in South NZ that would make a different experience, compared to the Alpes and the Canadian Rockies? I´ve spent a lot of time in these places, so mountain views are not a priority.
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Rockies 1
Alps 2
NZ 3

I have been to all three
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Jed

How much time?
What are your interests?
Old May 6th, 2006, 10:03 PM

Also, what time of year will you be in New Zealand?

Lee Ann
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
I would have less than a week in South New Zealand in September, so I wouldn´t have time to travel around. I´m looking for a specific area with a unique attraction.
I´m interested in all kinds of things, including a big city like Sidney, a different culture like I expect to find in Fiji, and the natural environment around Rotorua. What they have in common is that I think they will represent a very different experience from what I´ve had in my previous trips to Europe and America.
Mountain views are not a priority because I´ve been traveling to mountain areas every year (I´m a cross country skier, but I don´t intend to ski in NZ).
LizF, is that your preference order?
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Jed

With less than a week in SI, you want only 2 places.

I would suggest 3 nights in Queenstown to see the city, bungi jumping, Arrowtown, Wanaka, and an overnight on the Milford Sound, and various other things to do there.

Then 2 nights in either Christchurch or Dunedin.
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:29 PM
GBZ

I would stay in Queenstown and have a good look around Queenstown, Fiordland then go home through Wanaka and the glaciers on the West Coast, then head up the West Coast and back across to Christchurch.
Enjoy
www.newzealandatoz.com
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Hi there

The suggestion of staying in one or two locations is a good idea. It means you have more time to explore and less time spent in the road. Queenstown in the South Island certainly would be a good base given its proximity to a lot of the attractions the South Island has.

In saying that though. If you have seen great mountains (Rockies, Alps) the mountains themselves may not necessarily hold any different attractions. However, places such as Milford and Doubtful Sounds will of course be new. The rivers of the district are also worth exploring which can be done by jet boat. And of course there are also the white knuckle attractions such as Bungy jumping, paragliding etc.

In Fiji, if you want to experience the local culture you will probably need to explore the main island, Viti Levu. The resorts have meke nights but this is geared more for the tourists (Can be good fun though).

Sydney is a good choice if you are looking for a city to visit in Australia. It has a great harbour and a good selection of city beaches to check out. Just putting about on the harbour in a ferry is worth it as it gives you a good view of the city and the north shore suburbs. As far as cities go, don't forget to do some checking on Melbourne in Australia. IMHO it is the best of the large cities in Oz and has some great attractions (Especially if you are into sports)and dining.
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:01 PM

I would stay in the North Island and visit Rotorua and Bay of Islands. Maori culture, native bush walks, geothermal sites, and hot spring soaks come to mind as uniquely NZ activities other than alpine trekking. I think Queenstown is going to be too similar to other alpine ski resorts that you might have visited, although it is a good base for the SI and the Remarkables are.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:34 PM

Hi IIII
My preference list actually goes like this

1/ Andes
2/ Rockies
3/ Alps
4/ NZ

I haven't been to the Himalayas so they are not factored in here.