Search

Perth or Auckland?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perth or Auckland?

DH and I are planning a trip to Australia for our 5th anniversary. We can travel any time in February, March or April. We will visit Melbourne and Tasmania, and are trying to decide between Auckland and Perth. I really want to visit both, but we just don't have the time. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:37 PM

angelaa, without knowing how much time you have or what you like, etc. ...IMO Perth is a more interesting city with more things to do both in the city and locally (Fremantle, Rottnest Is.,) But then some would argue that Auckland has some interesting places too. I just feel that if you go to New Zealand you should really spend some time in the South Is., and that will add time.

answer to your question: Perth (and save NZ for another trip).

[note to Kiwi's: please don't slam me, I love New Zealand and the North Is. especially Rotorua]
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
FYI - it can be pretty darn hot in Perth that time of year. We visited this past March and just about died - temps got as high as 104F and we didn't have AC in one of the apartments we stayed in. A bit toasty for us, but if you're looking for warm weather, you'll no doubt find it in Perth that time of year.

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Tampatramp - no worries ! The South Island is absolutely sublime. Many North Islanders have strong family ties with the SI - so we can handle it I must say however that Rotorua is one of my least fav spots in the NI !
I would head for Perth Angelaa - from what I've heard its a stunningly beautiful city. Distance may be an issue though.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:04 AM

Perth IS a gorgeous place .. and as Melnq8 says, hot & sultry as all get out in those months, too.

Nevertheless, I'd probably vote for it (1) you're staying in the one country.
(2) lots to see in & within reasonable proximity.

Depends on your time frame, though. There's probably not more than an hour's difference in flying time between Melbourne-Auckland & Melbourne-Perth. And there's lots to explore in the NZ North Island, too.

"One the one hand, on the other hand ....."
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:26 AM

Perth has beautiful beaches (my favorite being Cottesloe). It has an interesting art museum, Art Gallery of Western Australia. It has a great park for walking in, Kings Park and Botanic Gardens. Its CBD has good pedestrian shopping malls. For more attractions, see:
http://www.countrywide.com.au/attractions/index.html
The nearby port city of Fremantle has terrific restaurants and shops, and a lively atmosphere especially at night.
Rottnest Island, 19 kilometres off the coast of Fremantle, makes for a nice day trip (or longer). It is surrounded by clear blue waters and the island is home to the quokka, a marsupial that to early visitors looked like a large rat--hence the name, Rottnest (the quokka is actually quite cute). See: http://www.rottnestisland.com/en/Abo...nd/default.htm
You can take a boat cruise up Perth's Swan River.
You can travel 267 km south of Perth to Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park to view native karri and jarrah trees or sit on white sand beaches. Continue just a tiny bit farther south to Margaret River, Western Australia's famed wine region and enjoy some of Australia's best Cabernet Sauvignons and Chardonnays.
Save Auckland for another vacation, one on which you focus on New Zealand. In my opinion, while Auckland is interesting, the best of New Zealand (in terms of tourism) lies outside of Auckland.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice. It sounds like Perth is the best option.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:31 PM

I'm a kiwi and for this trip I would definitely say Perth. NZ (not just Auckland) warrants more than a couple of days in Auckland. Perth sounds great- so go for that I say. (from a proud jafa!)
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:29 AM

The first time we went to Auckland was for 3 days as part of a deal with Qantas. We were touring Australia and left Melbourne for NZ. Great! It was a good taster and made us want to go back to NZ -which we did last year and will do again next year when we will also visit Oz!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:31 PM

I love Perth and WA so I'm leaning towards recommending WA. How many days do you have? Remember Australia is a big country and Perth is quite a distance away. If you have a short time and are flying from the US, it might be better to spend the time in Auckland.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 02:44 AM

I really like both destinations so I am sure you will be happy with whichever you go for.

I assume from your other posts that you are from the USA. Are you flying directly home from Perth or Auckland? If you go from Perth it will make that trip home quite a bit longer. Also, depending on your airline and tickets, Auckland could become a stopover destination and therefore won't cost you any money. Melbourne to Perth is not cheap.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we are coming from the US. We will only have about 4-5 days to spend in Perth or Auckland. Distance isn't really a factor, as we don't mind flying.
This is our second trip to Oceania in three years, but we probably won't return for another 4-5. This trip will have some influence on our next trip to the area, which will be either a couple of weeks in NZ or SE Asia with a few days in Perth. I appreciate all of the suggestions.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 06:03 AM

I've been to Auckland three times and may get back there next year. Once was definitely enough for Perth.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 06:52 AM

I would absolutely vote for Perth. I moved here a couple of months ago (my fiance is Scottish, but he and his family have lived in Perth for the last 5 years) and LOVE it. I grew up in Austin, Texas and then went to uni in Los Angeles and London, and I adore Perth. It's gorgeous and laid back, but there's tons to do, whether you want a night out in Northbridge or Freo, or a weekend trip to Rottsnest Island. And cliche though it may be, a lazy picnic overlooking the river at King's Park is divine. I would vote for Perth - over and over again. Good luck in your decision!