Search

Moving to NZ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to NZ

I have just applied for a 12 month work visa to NZ, leaving around May. I've found a few job agencies in Auckland and Wellington, but I don't know enough about either place. So the question is...if you had a choice, where in New Zealand would you live?? I like beaches (though it obviously won't be warm enough in May) My boyfriend would like somewhere close by to go snowboarding, and we generally like outdoor activities and good scenery. I also don't want to make it impossible to find a job by living in a really small town. Any ideas or suggestions?? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Well - you pretty much described Christchurch - close to mountains, lakes and still a city. But it will get cold in the wintertime. Gets very hot in the summer. Beaches nearby.

However, it is a city of small businesses not large corporates so you may find it easier getting work in the North Island. Really depends on what you do for living?? If you are an electrician or plummer you will be able to get work in about 10 sec regardless where you go.

I lived in Wellington. Loved it but for lifestyle stick to the east coast.

Avoid Auckland if you can although most Aucklanders wouldn't dream of living anywhere else in NZ.

Also as this is a travelling board you may find you will get better advice on a NZ local message board.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks wilees. I think I've ruled out Auckland...I've also heard good things about Christchurch, so I'll research that more as well. I'm currently in a marketing position (few years experience), so I would probably be looking for some type of office job. Do you think it would be hard finding one in Christchurch? Also, good idea..I'll post this on the NZ board as well. I thought I did, but I guess I screwed up!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Just curious,

Why avoid Auckland or discount it before you have arrived?
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:15 PM

We travelled to NZ in July 2004. At the time I told my wife that, if I ever had the chance to move to NZ, Christchurch would be my clear choice of a place to live. It is a medium sized city, plus has access to the ocean, hot springs and winter sports within a reasonable drive. It also has wonderful parks and flowers at certain times of the year.
My vote is for Christchurch.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:50 AM

Another reason to choose Christchurch is that you will have easier access to the South Island attractions during your 12 months here.
However you should make sure that you get a chance to spend some recreational time in the Coromandel and Northland - great beaches - and check out Rotorua/Taupo & Waitomo.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

I guess I ruled out Auckland because some of my family visited there and didn't have very rave reviews about it. Mostly just that it was a typical, busy city..something I was trying to get away from in the US

Christchurch does sound quite nice, as after reading these I've done a bit more research on it. Does anybody know if there is good places to ski close by? Is it big enough that I would be able to find some sort of office job? Thanks for all the advice so far!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:39 PM

Hi again

Christchurch would be a good option if you like skiiing asit is only an hour or so from Mt Hutt which is a fairly popular ski field.

Depending upon your qualifications and flexibility you should not experience too much difficulty getting a job. As you are on a short term visa I would suggest you register with a temping agency so that you get them to do the searching for you.

Just google employment agencies Christchurch and you will come up with a few. Also check out seek.com

Christchurch has around 350k people so it is a fair size but certainly not a "big" city. Very pleasant spot indeed

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much kiwi_acct...if the skiing is good, an hour drive isn't bad at all! I'll look into some agencies as well, though I have a feeling I'll have to wait until I get over there...
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Just another good point about Christchurch. if the weather is good late in the ski season in spring, you can ski in the morning and then go to the beach in CHCH in the afternoon.