How much time to allow for NZ?

Aug 16th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Vicky

How much time to allow for NZ?

We are going to Australia in May, stopping first in Aukland. Renting a car. Would 2 weeks be sufficient? In Brisbane, which hotel is the nicest? Also, I have looked at a small map but cannot find the Cook Islands.

Aug 27th, 2002, 01:32 AM
kathy

Hi Vicky. Be a bit more specific about where you want to go and I will tell you how long it takes from point to point and the time you will require. Are you thinking of one week in the north and one in the south? I assume you mean two weeks in NZ. If you mean for both then the answer is an emphatic no.

Aug 27th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Vicky

Kathy, Thanks for your response. We leave the U.S.A. on the 6th of May to New Zealand. Leaving NZ on the 31st of May for Australia. Staying there until the 2nd of July. We have never been "down under" so don't have a clue what to see/do.

Aug 27th, 2002, 08:57 PM
christa

May is winter time here in NZ. A quick tour of both islands would probably involve flying between islands, maybe do a few days tour of the North Island... Coromandel, Rotorua, Taupo, Wellington?

Fly to Christchurch... drive Dunedin, milford, Queenstown back to Christchurch.

Fly back to Auckland from there?

Aug 28th, 2002, 01:27 AM
kathy

Hi Vicky
Firstly access the website www.purenz.com which is really excellent. If you enjoy the great outdoors and natural scenery, you will want to see the east coast of the north island, the Coromandel Ranges, to Rotorua and it's thermal areas, Waiotapu is my favourite, on to Lake Taupo and Mt Ruapehu National Park and on down to Wellington. Either the west or east coasts of the south island are great but the west is very unique whereas Christchurch and Dunedin are quite large cities. By going down the west coast you will reach Queenstown which although very touristy really is a must. Then you can make your way back to Christchurch and fly from there to Brisbane. You will need two nights in Rotorua and two at least in Queenstown, the rest you can stop where you feel like it and overnight. You may need two nights in Auckland and Wellington depends on your interests. We have masses of nice accomodation, no real need to book, just call in to any tourist bureaus and pick up an armful of brochures on sights and accomodation. May is a lovely time of the year. The south island has empty spaces and little traffic, a dream to drive round, near Auckland it's very busy.
Regarding Brisbane I think a hotel near the Southbank area is the most convenient as it's also near to the museum and art gallery, the train station to the Gold Coast and also walking distance to the city centre. In 2 months you'll have a great time, just be cool as we are a friendly bunch down here, the Aussies aren't too bad either.