Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

great barrier reef, a big disappoinment?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

So I am planning this expensive trip to Australia next summer with a major pitstop at the Great Barrier Reef. I am even taking diving and snorkelling lessons this summer. I don't know anyone who's been there so all I know about it I know from books and magazines. I mean who hasn't heard of the GBR right?

So this woman at my gym, who lived in Asia for 2 years told me this morning that I would be very disappointed if I went and that I am better off going to Fiji instead. I know I shouldn't be changing my plans because of one opinion but I can't help it, she sorta dampened my enthusiasm.

Anyone out there been to both places and can give an educated and objective comparison?

Thank you so much in advance!!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:59 AM

I have snorkeled Fiji three times and the GBR four times. In my opinion you cannot beat the GBR. Of course, I haven't covered all areas of each though.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Did you ask this person if she had in fact been to the GBR? If so where on the GBR seeing it is 2700 Klms long. I could give you a comparison but I am not going to because the GBR stands alone against Fiji anytime. Its your holiday and you can do whatever you want with it. Personally I would route myself through Fiji to the GBR and make my own comparison, depending of course on where in Fiji and the GBR you go.
What I cannot work out is: what has living in Asia got to do with having an opinion on Fiji or Australia?
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:27 PM

It really depends on what sort of holiday you want. Fiji is good for lolling around at a resort, if that's your thing. North Queensland offers a much more well-rounded travel experience - the spectacular and unique GBR certainly, which Fiji doesn't have, also the Daintree Rain Forest and the nearby Atherton Tablelands, with native animal-spotting tours etc, and a little further west, over the ranges, a taste of the Australian outback. The city of Cairns also offers nightlife.

I'm as puzzled as LizF about the relevance of Asia. And one person's opinion, even if they've been to both places, doesn't mean much. For it to be a useful guide you and she would have to have identical experiences (highly unlikely) and identical tastes (unlikely). You don't tell us whether this person was able to explain why, exactly, you'd be disappointed. My inclination would be to ignore her.

Incidentally, almost the minute I set foot in the United States a local told me firmly that I would be very disappointed by New York and that I should go to Chicago instead. Draw your own conclusions!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:14 PM

We stayed on Heron Island for a week in 2001. It is on the reef but obviously only a tiny part of the whole thing. We are novice snorkellers but went out on the dive boat every day. It was the most amazing experience and I'd say not to be missed. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed but then everyone is different. We have snorkelled in Cozumel, Hawaii and the Galapagos and none come close to GBR. Can't comment on Fiji. I would get your enthusiasm back - you'll love it!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 11:28 PM

Well I've snorkelled both and have lived in Asia for 2 years, but really can't see what that has to do with it. Unless this person could tell you precisely where and when she snorkelled/dived in both Fiji and GBR and what the comparative weather and tides were on those very days her remark is meaningless.

Australia is not a third world country and GBR is carefully managed; we don't tolerate destructive fishing practices such as dynamiting catches for the Asian market, which is often the case in South Pacific Islands; there are many "no go" fishing zones on Great Barrier Reef which makes them unavailable to even local fishing trawlers. Makes the cost of our local seafood more expensive, but are happy to pay the price for the health of the reef and all it sustains.

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 03:45 AM

Well I've visited both, though have to say that while in Fiji I was more interested in just finding what there was to find, and travelling around, and all that. They are totally different destinations.

If all you want to do is explore the underworld then you must plan your itinerary in either location carefully. You can't just swim off the beach and see stuff anywhere I know in Queensland - other posters can advise on Fiji. But normally you need to get on a boat somewhere, somehow.

But if you want other stimuli then you need to decide between FNQ's Daintree and the hinterland, and a cultural environment that won't be too unfamiliar, and what you might find in an environment that is culturally not the same as home at all.

Your choice.

But I would take no notice of the opinions of a casual acquaintance.

Happy travels.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:22 AM

Perhaps this woman had only been to Green island.

Muck
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your very opinionated responses. I really appreciate your honesty and candor. I always know I could count on my Fodors family to tell it like it is.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Just got back from a month down under.

I would not miss the Great Barrier Reef.

If this person only went to Green Island or one of the neighbouring Islands , then all she did was walk around a little tropical Island.

There are other boats leaving from Green Island for example that will take you out to the Great Barrier Reef.

You can snorkel,dive or take a submarine ride that has huge glass windows and see a lot of the coral and sealife.

I was not disappointed one bit.

Percy
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:18 PM

Although I didn't look terribly hard, as I was on business at the time, the only scuba I could actually find on Viti Levu was a few ads for liveaboards. Having dragged my fins to the other side of the world, I had to make do with some remarkably underwhelming snorkelling off Nadi. I wouldn't condemn Fijian diving on the basis of my sloppy research: I simply wouldn't recommend anyone to use me as an expert on Fiji.

The GBR was a totally different story. The snorkelling from the huge dayboats out of Cairns - which is what package holidaymakers take - wasn't much better than Nadi. But the scuba diving from Hayman was one of the two or three tourist experiences I've ever had which was just gobsmacking.

It's possible to find lousy snorkelling near the GBR: it might be possible to find decent scuba in Fiji. But your acquaintance sounds worse-informed than me about the GBR and a lot more inclined to shoot her mouth off on the basis on no knowledge.

BUT she would be right were she making a different point. Australia is one of the world's richest countries. Its domestic holiday resorts feel like holiday resorts in any other rich country. Though they tend to be staffed by rather more pleasant people than you find elsewhere, I can't imagine any English-speaker would find them exotic. They serve outstanding food and wine - and charge for it.

Fiji, OTOH, is a small, low-income, increasingly tourist-dependent, isolated set of islands with people who are extremely friendly to most outsiders. And feels like it.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 04:04 AM

Yes, Cotswold Scourer, there are those mass tourist reef trips out of Cairns and Port Douglas, and for about 3 years on this forum have been trying to discourage people from taking them. There's many alternatives, its a huge reef, far vaster than Fiji's with far more diversity. Still, would be interested to know which reef trip you took out of Cairns which was on a par with what you found out of Nadi, which is not a prime reef site of Fiji, as you discovered. Green Island, locally, is not even considered a reef destination.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Welcome to the Australia forum, CotswoldScouser. This board has been a bit tame lately and could do with some of your acerbic wit and wisdom.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Pinstripesboy - as others have already stated, the GBR is vast region, with numerous reefs & coral cay islands, some close to the mainland, other further out, especially in the southern GBR region. I live on the southern end, which starts from lady elliot island. If you are looking for a truly memorable diving experience, then why not try the 3 day boat/diving excursion, which leaves Bundaberg. The company is called Saltys (www.saltys.com.au) They even have night dives. Their packages include just about everything, including food & drinks(not alcohol though).
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 03:40 PM

So what are the alternatives to the mass tourist boats that take day trips from Cairns and Port Douglas? When I go to Australia, I want to snorkle the GBR because I'm not a diver. Is it better to be based on an island or take a 3-4 day cruise?
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 12:37 AM

Jammie - the largest passenger carrying day trips in Cairns/Port Douglas area are: Quicksilver (to Agincourt Reef) out of Port Douglas; Great Adventures and Sunlover out of Cairns and they all have permanent fixed pontoons on reef with semi-submersible and glass bottom boats. Reef Magic out of Cairns takes less passengers, also has a pontoon on an exceptionally healthy reef site.

A few examples of small-medium size reef boats of PD are Wavelength(snorkelling only), Calypso, Poseidon, Quicksilver's Silversonic. Out of Cairns are Ecstasea, Ocean Spirit (2 boats with different reef sites), Silverswift. Snorkelling is off the side of the boat with exception of Ocean Spirit's trip to Michaelmas Cay, where there's very easy snorkelling from a sand cay and this motor/sailer catamaran has its own semi-submersible. This is not meant to be a full list of every operator, just some which I am confident in recommending.

The only islands in this area with tourist accommodation are the abovementioned Green Island and Fitzroy which is a continental island with some fringing coral, still some distance from reef proper. Further north is Lizard, which very pricey and remote but beautiful, Haggerstone, north again of Lizard has a small (pricey, too) guesthouse.

A liveaboard is a good option, whilst essentially for divers they're happy to take snorkellers and would suggest you have a look at Spirit of Freedom's 3 nighter to Ribbon Reefs with one-way flight to Lizard Island.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Another emphatic defense here of the Great Barrier Reef as a tourist destination, which as others have pointed out is so big and varied that it's very hard to make generalizations about it. I haven't been to Fiji, but have been to the GBR a dozen or so times at different locations up and down the Queensland coast. Almost every time I have been totally blown away by the experience. Heron Island has always been my favorite spot, though there's still much I haven't seen (Lizard Island for example).

As we've been hearing a lot in the news lately, coral bleaching, due to global warming and rising ocean temperatures, is threatening the survival of on the world's coral reefs. Unfortunately, Australia's magnificent reefs are not immune and have suffered in recent years (especially in 2002). It's very sad to have to suggest that you should experience the GBR soon while you still have the chance.

On a slightly more optimistic note, it appears that, despite the record temperatures of summer 2006, damage to the GBR is not as bad as had been predicted:

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2006/s1605047.htm
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Hi pinstripesboy,
Sorry, this is not an objective opinion, but since Jammie asked about companies to go with, I decided to write. About 1 1/2 years ago we went to Australia and snorkeled the GBR with the company Wavelength!!! I can honestly say it was the highlight of our trip!!!! I knew this might be a once in a lifetime experience and wanted to do it right, so I researched ALOT before choosing Wavelength!!! It turned out to be such an incredible day!!! I only wish we could have stayed longer and enjoyed more of the GBR!!! Check out their website: www.wavelength-reef.com.au
You will love Australia!!!!!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:48 AM

I must add just one more thing. While I'm sure the boats are fun to head out to the reef on, they are subject to the weather conditions, ie. waves. The way to go is over to Lizard Island with Greg at Daintree Air (Cairnes Airport) . Don't hesitate to contact him at daintreeair.com for the trip of a lifetime. We were there 3 years ago, and I still read positive posts about Greg and his unforgetable adventures he guides you on.
Deb
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:01 PM

All reef trips, including Lizard Island, are obviously subject to weather. Right now there's gale force wind warning at Lizard Island, associated with Cyclone Monica which is due to make landfall north of there late this morning. AndrewD, who often posts here, will remember his Lizard Island day trip being cancelled at about this time of year 2 years ago.

Fiji also subject to cyclones at same time of year as Far North Qld, Cyclone Eric killed 19 people there not so long ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -