Planning a NSW South Coast driving adventure

Old Oct 29th, 2009, 03:20 PM
dkw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning a NSW South Coast driving adventure

Hi, my DH and I are currently living in Sydney and are thinking of spending some time over the Christmas holidays exploring the NSW South Coast by car.

We are interested in outdoor adventure type activities, hiking, biking, photography and that sort of stuff.

Our time frame is flexible...we have time off from the 20th of Dec through the 1st of January and don't necessarily need to be back in Sydney for Christmas.

We're looking for suggestions as to where to go, a possible rough itinerary, things to do and see. Any hidden gems out there?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!!!

Devona
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 08:29 PM

I'm not sure what constitutes the south coast but the areas of Berrima, Mittagong, Bowral, Kangaroo Valley, Tilba Central were just a highlight for us - how lovely. Also loved Narooma, Bega etc but not sure if this is what you had in mind.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 10:20 PM

Another vote for Narooma, from there you can go out to Montague Island and see the fairy penguins return at dusk. There's also a beautiful lighthouse on the island and a colony of seals.

Nearby is also Tilba Tilba, there's a fantastic walk in the National Park there with an Aboriginal women's sacred site near the summit, it's made up of the most fleshy looking anthropomorphic boulders, rather a lot of suggestive body parts...

Hyams Beach near Jervis Bay is another favourite of mine on the south coast. You could have 4 nights at Hyams Beach and then drive on to Narooma. From Narooma you can easily do a day trip as far down the coast as Eden--the old Whaling town near the Victorian border.

The problem with the time of year you plan to go is that the prices go through the roof. There are some very reasonably priced shacks in the National Parks, I think they are at Pretty Beach--lots of kangaroos there also.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 03:06 AM

I vote for Gerringong-Gerroa-Berry - those three are close together, about 2 hrs from Sydney. Nearby is Seven Mile Beach (totally unspoilt, with native plant regeneration happening on the edge of the beach) , and the towns are sweet. In Berry there is a motorcycle renting business (I don't imagine this is the kind of biking you meant, but you might consider it) for weekend riders.

Another place even closer to Sydney is Stanwell Tops (Stanwell Park) - there is hang gliding off the top of the cliffs to the township below. This is on the edge of the Royal National Park (bushwalking tracks, really beautiful, about an hour out of Sydney: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Na....aspx?id=N0030). Some of the little towns between there and Wollongong have some awesome beaches - I think Austinmer in particular is pretty nice. Drive along the new coast road (Sea Cliff Bridge) and have lunch at the Scarborough Hotel for brilliant ocean views.

And further south, just before Kiama, is Bombo, which also has a fantastic surf beach. You might need an up-to-date map to access Bombo as they have recently changed the roads nearby.

Lavandula
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 03:20 AM

So much to see - just a few suggestions -

Between Milton and Ulladulla - turn off highway for Mollymook & Narrawallee.

Between Ulladulla and Batemans Bay -
Turn off highway to Bawley Point - at the T intersection on arriving at Bawley turn right and then first left into Tingira Drive for great views.
After returning to the highway, continue a little way south and turn off for South Durras & Murramarang.

From Batemans Bay - rather than continuing south on the highway, turn off into the town and take Beach Rd along the bay and continuing along the coast via Surf Beach into George Bass Drive, making short diversions after Malua Bay to the beaches at Rosedale and Guerilla Bay.

Eating at Batemans Bay & nearby - a couple of recommendations - the Waterview cafe/ restaurant in the middle of town & looking out over the bay; the fish and chips shop at Batehaven (along Beach Rd).

South of Narooma -
Mystery Bay - take the turn off just south of Narooma.
If you visit Bermagui make sure you check out the view from the walkway down to the ocean baths.

Local maps at -http://www.australianexplorer.com/maps/batemans_bay.htm
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 01:10 AM
dkw
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm madly researching and working out a route right now.

Berry had been suggested to us as a destination. I've been told that there's an awesome pie shop we have to get to there.

DH would be really interested in the motorcycling idea, as his motorcycle has been in storage back at our house in the US now for almost two years now. He's been really itching to get out for a ride. However, we saw a car run into a motorcycle yesterday(at low speed...thank heavens) so it will take a while for me to warm up to that idea.

Narooma and Montague Island sound just great. I'd love to see the fairy penguins.

Unfortunately, our vacation time happens to be when everyone else's is so higher prices just can't be avoided.
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM

I think the place in Berry may be the Woodfired Sourdough Cafe, a great place to stop for lunch. It's not on the main drag it's off to the left as you enter town from the north.

In the vicinity is the very beautiful walk at Minnamurra Falls. It's quite a short walk in temperate rainforest. Further down the coast, inland from Milton, is the Pigeon House Mountain walk, that's a spectacular bushwalk (excellent view at the end). It's a good place for seeing goannas.

As you are in Sydney you probably have the SMH Good Food Guide, their south coast section of food recommendations is very reliable. In the news recently, Rick Stein has opened a restaurant at Mollymook.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
SnR

dkw, we drove to Narooma via Jervis Bay in Oct. of 2007. It was lovely. If you go that route, spend some time in the park outside of Jervis Bay. The whale watching trip to Montegue Island was great. I don't know if you'll be going at whale time, but we saw lots of them. There aren't a lot of fairy penguins, but we were happy with what we saw. It was interesting walking up to the lighthouse with the sea gull-type birds trying to chase us away (although they can be fierce, so the ranger warned us). It was a chilly ride back but I don't imagine that will be a problem when you go. We went to Tilba Tilba (the wine tasting wasn't memorable) and the aboriginal place was closed, but we loved the little town of Central Tilba. We then drove up onto the plateau (a lovely drive) to Canberra, where we met Neil_Oz and Robin. It was wonderful to see a bit of the capital city with a friendly native! We loved the Parliament Building and the National Museum. All in all we wish we had had more time for Canberra and had done more hiking, but we really enjoyed our week south of Sydney.
Sally in Seattle
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:16 PM

Talk about an awesome pie shop - I know I'm off subject but - at Yamba there is a place called Pot Belly Pies mmmm and mmmm delicious - I had the sweet chilli chicken and mango and man it was to die for. Also was roast lamb and rosemary and other gourmet varieties as well as the traditional beef steak, cottage pies etc.

Sorry about that but the mention of the pies above reminded me! Wish I could have one now actually, I'll just have to go back to Yamba.

Now you can get back to what you were talking about.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM

Stormbird - 'awesome pie shop' is not what I want to hear a couple of hours before dinner, but thanks for the tip. If taking the inland route (via Canberra) to the far south coast of NSW, pie connoisseurs should research the well-regarded pie shops in Nimmitabel and Bemboka (between Cooma and Bega).
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:21 AM
dkw
Original Poster

Ok.....I guess I have a confession to make. I haven't really warmed up to the Aussie Meat Pies. I know....after living here almost 2 years I should have found some type of meat pie that I like but.....

Actually, I was told that the pie shop in Berry has lots of different fruit pies. I do miss a nice fruit pie!!
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
dkw
Original Poster

I have booked ocean view accommodation in Narooma for 5 nights. It looks as if we will be pretty busy with everything to see and do in the area.

One last question....can anyone suggest a nice restaurant for Christmas Lunch or dinner in Narooma?

Thanks again for all the help!! I'll submit a trip report when we get back!!
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM

Pelican's restaurant was very good a few years ago. You will probably need to book well in advance, Christmas lunches/dinners tend to fill up weeks ahead. There's an email address on the link below:

http://www.narooma.org.au/pelicans.html

The Bateman's Bay tourist information centre had quite a good pamphlet on food and produce in the area. Maybe pick one up on the way through for more up to date information, and go to the excellent fish restaurant Farrermog mentions.

If you go on the Tilba Tilba walk, look out for lyre birds particularly near the summit. Also don't miss the Aboriginal Women's sacred site made up of lots of granite boulders. last time I was there it wasn't sign-posted, it's on a path to the right, about half-way up the mountain, the turn-off is behind a toilet block *I think*. The national park map will have more precise instructions! LOL.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Just to clarify - the Batehaven fish and chips shop is a takeaway; the Waterview at Batemans Bay is superby located, looking over the bay from the back of the main street (Orient, a continuation of Clyde) in the 'central shopping/ business district'. Had a very pleasant light lunch (v nice wagyu burgers @ about $17) on the balcony earlier this year. Also enjoyed dinner at Briars Restaurant at Comfort Inn Lincoln Downs where we stayed several nights (on the Princes Hwy - family room in the block at the back reasonably quiet - just along from the Clyde Mountain turnoff roundabout on the northern side of the river). Another option, esp for sunset dining, would be On the Pier, the seafood restaurant at the north western base of the bridge (on Old Punt Rd).
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Just as an aside - we had a great meal at the Hungry Duck, at Berry, a couple of weeks ago.
A choice of degustation menus - and quite a good wine list.

Dining in the Kiama - Berry area has been pretty tragic until recently. Poet's Corner in Gerringong has apparently closed

The restaurant at The Silos Winery is pretty good.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 08:58 PM

In the Narooma area, have seen a good review or two about Red Box Pizza at Tuross Head, overlooking the lake (not the beach). Turn off for Tuross Head/ beach/ lake between Moruya and Narooma.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM

Susan7, is Pelican's the little place at the marina, on the river at Narooma? If so we ate well there a few years ago but I don't know what it's like now.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM

Neil-Oz, I think that's it, a smallish narrow place (two tables wide) that is over the water, it was near to the boat sheds selling oysters fresh from the leases.

Margo-oz, the fish and chips in Kiama used to be fantastic (snapper and lots of other choices)--the one in the middle of the harbour that has a restaurant attached. Has that changed?
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 04:40 PM

The fish and chip place on the harbour is still there - and OK. We've been to the restaurant, Cargoes, and think it is greatly overpriced for the standard of food, etc.

Good fish and chips at Saltwater, in the main street, Terralong Street.

Otherwise, food options are many, but pretty poor. (we have an apartment there, and go down regularly)