Plan Ahead-Tahiti is tricky!

May 25th, 2001, 06:32 AM
julie

Plan Ahead-Tahiti is tricky!

For those who think that French Polynesia is the "lost paradise" of the world, be forewarned that they too have discovered tourism, and it is, in fact the mainstay of their economy; however, they lack some professionalism, and what you see in a picture or get from an agent may not be what you actually end up with in terms of air travel and schedules, and hotel rooms that are sadly lacking, albeit very expensive. We returned sadly disillusioned after paying top dollar only to be placed in a dingy, smelly room, no view of anything but a plywood fence, lots of construction noise, everything extremely expensive (a bowl of soup at the hotel : $17) and few options to dine elsewhere. This hotel is the Beachcomer on Moorea, and I am not sure how typical it is, but it was fully booked when we were there and we had no options to change. Spoke to many disconcerted people just like us. Also, the locals are not looking after their islands as they should considering they are the mainstay of the economy (plastic bottles everywhere, including the pure blue lagoons), trash piling up in visable places, drinking water supply unstable, starving wild dogs and chickens everywhere, and sewage pouring into the lagoon. Also witnessed some cruise ships discharging some very dubious stuff directly in to the lagoon. They have one airline, Tahiti Nui, and only ONE plane, which was out of service on our return trip, thus we were sent home on a very old, rented 747, with many complications in boarding, ticketing etc. Just by being popular and heavily visited, plus ignorance on the part of the natives, Tahiti is rapidly losing some of it's glamour.

May 26th, 2001, 12:38 AM
Don

Thanks for your honesty, Julie! Just try posting that on tahiti-explorer.com and watch you get SLAMMED by the all the "darlings" who think FP is the be-all, end-all in the world!! (Next time, Julie, go to the Manele Bay Hotel on Lanai in Hawaii. I can assure you, it will be a BIG difference [or ANY of the true 5-stars on Hawaii]!!!).

May 26th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Jackie

Julie, I just returned from the Cook Islands and loved it. They may be what you are looking for. I had seriously considered Tahiti, but after seeing some negative posts about Tahiti, I am very glad I went to the Cooks. You will not find glitzy resorts, but you will find very clean accommodations as well as the islands and beaches being clean. Best of all, the people are wonderful.

May 27th, 2001, 10:07 AM
julie

Don: just an added response to your comment. I did post my reactions to FP on Tahiti explorer, a chat board monitored and controled by someone named "Yves" something or other. My comments generated so much response that he "closed" the subject. He is actually a travel agent, specializing in Tahiti, so can't wonder too much about why he dis-allowed any more commentary. Tahiti is beautiful,but, dollar for dollar, I still think there are so many more interesting and beautiful places in the world. My only recommendation is that if you do go, BRING MONEY!

May 30th, 2001, 02:18 AM
Evan

Julie, what other "beautiful and interesting" places have you been besides Tahiti?!?

May 30th, 2001, 07:54 AM
julie

Evan: Have been almost everywhere, Mexico, Africa, Scandanavia, Middle East, Canada, All of Europe, China, Thailand, Russia, and most of the states. Why do you want to know? Most interesting place I have been, I think, is Northern Spain, and the most dreary is parts of Louisanna and Mexico. Most beautiful--hard to say. Southern France comes to mind. How about you.

Jun 4th, 2001, 02:39 AM
monica

Hi everybody,

I'm from spain, Barcelona, and I donít think that my country is better than French Polynesia.

We stayed there in new year 99/00. We didn't go to Moorea. Tahiti is not so beautifull as a picture, it's true. For me is like any city here in spain, full of shops for tourist, cars everywhere, etc...

In bora bora we stayed in Pearl Beach, the hotel was wonderfull, but we had a walk around the motu, and in the proximities of the hotel there were tins, plastics, etc... I think the fault is the hotel, because 2 km far away from it, the motu was completly clean.

In Huahine we didn't find tins or plastics.

In the other hand I have to say that chikens are everywhere in french polynesia, and it's nice to see how the animal can walk where it wants, not like here in the nasty city of Barcelona, where birds are grey, all full of cars, people shouting out loud, not silence and stress everywhere.

I will return to french polynesia, because I think you can find what they show you in the pictures, and it is there really. Just take a car and look for.

We are Humans, and we are destroying everything in everywhere.

I'm so sorry for you

Jun 4th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Jeff

Julie,
I have read your many post on Tahiti Explorer where you and your husband (Jules) were bitching endlessly about the Parkroyal.
There were many responses, and different opinions, some in your favor, other disagreeing.
I also remember you made disparaging remarks to the moderator, who ignored your insults and even agreed with you in some areas.
However, you are obviously on a crusade to denigrate anyone who doesn't fully agree with you, and you have now moved to this board.
I also remember that the moderator stopped the topic (it is still there for all to read
http://www.tahiti-explorer.com/ubb/F...ML/000120.html because the tone was getting nasty. So, he did us all a favor.
However, this topic is well worth reading as it offers many different views, as well as the real background on Julie's disagreement with T-E.

Jun 4th, 2001, 01:28 PM
jules

Jeff: Sorry that you are so easily offended. We are not 'bitching endlessly" but trying to give some real exposure to a hotel that doesn't deliver what it advertises in case others may be able to use that knowledge and avoid spending a great deal of money without value. While we are in a position financially that it won't break us, there are many young people wanting to come to FP to have that 'once in a lifetime' experience, and money is maybe short. WHy wouldn't you want to know in advance what your may expect? Afterall, competition and feedback from clients can make or break an establishment. Why don't you just chill?

Jun 4th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Mary

Julie -- and Ron,
I have just been reading the many posts in Tahiti Explorer, and I see a wide variety of opinions and criticism of FP, so I have to question your accusations of "SLAMMED" and censorship ??

For instance, there is an interesting topic -- "Is Tahiti Expensive" -- that offers 36 (!!) opinions on the very subject of cost and value.

http://www.tahiti-explorer.com/ubb/F...ML/000322.html

check it out...

Jun 4th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Jeff

Jules and Julie....
GIVE A REST!!! you keep rehashing the same stuff in every forum....Enough is enough!!
You have made your point and we have all read it 10 times over. Now, THAT is offensive.
GET IT????

Jun 5th, 2001, 01:18 AM
Don

BRAVO, Julie/Jules!! Keep up the HONEST and GOOD work!!! And never mind the "once in a lifetimers." Even people of "means" don't enjoy being ripped off like that!!!

Jun 5th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Jeff

Jules and Julie --- not only are obnoxious, but you are deceptive too.
Writing your own support post!! Very cute...

Jun 6th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Holly

I just got back from Bora Bora, stayed at the Pearl Beach resort. It was an absolute once-in-a-lifetime experience and more than I ever could have expected. I was actually booked at the Moorea Parkroyal where you guys stayed, but changed when I read about all the renovations going on. I'm sorry your trip was not a good one, but don't give up on Tahiti - we really had a terrific time and on the motu where we stayed there was none of the starving dog/trash on the street factor.

Jun 8th, 2001, 05:40 PM
freewoman

We were in Moorea last summer and loved it!! It was everything I would have imagined a South Pacific island to be. We found the island to be quaint and the people were wonderful. We thought the thatched roof bungalows were darling and loved not having tv, telephone, radio or air conditioning. And we didn't miss any of them!!! It was truly a relaxing vacation. Yes, there were a lot of dogs on the loose and one of them adopted us for the week. We fed it and it kept us company. There are other airlines going to Tahiti -- Conair and Air France and maybe Hawaiian Air, but we went with Air Tahiti Nui because it was highly recommended to us and we were not sorry. Our flight was great and even the food was very good. I did not find them to be any more expensive than Maui or Grand Cayman. In fact I felt things were more expensive in St. Lucia. I would definitely return. But I would like to stay for two weeks next time instead of one.