Perth???

Feb 24th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Perth???

We've made NO plans for spring break and we need to get away from the traffic and pollution of Jakarta. What about Perth? Perhaps 3/28 to 4/3 (6 days). Can get flights for 4 (2 adults, 2 kids 11/10) for $295 on Quantas (kids 75% of that).

Would you go? Are there family fun things to do? Also, are there places where a family of 4 could stay together (we prefer 1 room rather than pay double for 2).

What about the coast and beaches?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Feb 24th, 2005, 11:24 PM

Hey Jakarta -

Had to chime in because we also live in Indonesia (Duri) where it's been unbelievably smoky.

Lots of folks here go to Perth and we're planning to do the same within the next few months. I've heard there's lots to see and do and many wineries nearby.

Sounds like you got a deal on the flights - personally, I'd go in a heartbeat.

Haven't been yet, so can't help otherwise, but I can sure commiserate with you needing to get away!

Have fun!

Feb 25th, 2005, 12:52 AM

Hello,

Perth is a nice city. Certainly doesn't have any polution problems. Given your location I'd recommend it. The only time I wouldn't recomment perth would be to those who are travelling a great distance and want to visit a lot of cities due to Perth's remoteness.

The best thing about perth is how easy it is to find an uninhabited beach! You don't have to travel very far to get a nice beach all to yourself.
Feb 25th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Yes - do go. Perth is great for family get aways. The weather in March is good too - autumn would have just started. There are nice beaches nearby in Rockingham where you can take boat trips to see bottlenose dolphins or if you have more time, out to Monkey Mia and Wave Rock. There are also great wineries and a chocolate factory both in the Swan Valley and Margaret River.

On my last trip there a couple of eyara ago, we stayed at the Alderney on Hay serviced apartments (2 bedrooms). There is also a newer sister property called Kingston on Hay - see http://www.kingstoneonhay.com.au/Hot...facilities.asp. They're clean and convenient, just at the edge of the city, with free parking facilities if you're planning to rent a car while you're there.
Feb 25th, 2005, 07:48 AM

Hi Jakarta, I'm sorry Susumiki, but I think Kingston on Hay has changed since your last visit. I was in touch with an Irish tourist who was booked in there, but once she arrived, she was so disgusted with the place, she didn't stay.

There is a hotel which is budget 3 star accommodation that I checked out myself a few weeks ago for the benefit of visitors called the Comfort Hotel. There are family rooms there for: double bed & 2 singles = $126, queen bed & 2 singles - $136.

The hotel is newly refurbished and spotlessly clean. It is basic, but good value for money. The hotel is centrally located towards East Perth (on the main street through the city).

There are endless activities for you and your children. The weather will still be warm enough to go to any of our beautiful white sandy beaches.

Perhaps you could let us know the ages of your children so we know whether to recommend activities for young ones or teens.

Feb 25th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Our kids are 10 and 11 years old. What do you think they would enjoy doing in Perth or around Perth?

We'd probably skip wine country as we don't drink much and the kids wouldn't enjoy it.
Feb 25th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

I'll check out the Comfort Hotel...do they have a web site so we could book online by any chance?

Also, it sounds like we'd need to rent a car to get to the beaches or to see Perth. Any good car rental places you'd recommend?

Melnq8, I've been reading about the smoke where you live. It sounds serious.
Feb 26th, 2005, 01:17 AM

With kids in tow and the weather just lovely at that time I am sure you will have a great beach time. Any of the beaches would be fine but I think that perhaps Cottesloe would be best as it has better access to say Freemantle and the city. I used to enjoy going to the Perth Zoo when I lived there too as its a nice little zoo with lots of gardens to enjoy - as is Kings Park. There are tours up the Swan River to some of the wineries which you may enjoy. I have not been there for some years but you could possibly find something on www.wotif.com.au which would suit you in all ways. Any of the beaches or near the river would be fine. Leave getting accommodation till 2 weeks before you leave so that you get the best rate.
You will find Perth a dream after Jakarta, its clean and its got a fresh feel about it. Perhaps a trip down to the south west via Margaret River would also be nice for you and certainly a change of climate - humidity wise that is.
Feb 26th, 2005, 09:32 AM

The kids would probably enjoy Caversham Wildlife Park, SciTech in West Perth, the water slides and the beach at Hillarys Boat Harbour. AQWA is also at Hillarys Boat Harbour - it's a huge aquarium plus a lot other sea creature displays. All the beaches are lovely! There is also a fun park called Adventure World. The tourist bureau, which is situated next to the Post Office in Forrest Place in the city centre, has a lot of information.
Feb 26th, 2005, 10:09 AM

Here is some more information I have found:

CABLE WATER SKI PARK
Cables water ski park has something for the whole family. From waterskiing in the clean man made lakes, giant waterslides, mini golf, playgrounds, swimming pools, BBQ's, restaurant and the Slingshot.

BOTANTIC GOLF
The botanic golf gardens is set on five acres of gardens. The 18 hole course is a challenge for all levels of players. Light lunches and snacks are available at the Garden Cafe. We are situated at 25 Drover's Place Wanneroo just two minutes from the centre of Joondalup City.

CAT BUS
Take a free ride on a CAT bus and see the city

PERTH MINT
Visitors to The Perth Mint can witness a gold pouring demonstration in the original Melthouse, handle more than $200,000 worth of gold, discover the value of their weight in gold, engrave their own personalised medallion, see coins and medallions being manufactured, view more than 150 natural gold nuggets, and browse through an extensive jewellery collection. The Perth Mint is the perfect place to purchase coins, nuggets, fine jewellery and quality souvenirs.
The Perth Mint Shop and Exhibition are open from 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 1pm on Saturday, Sunday and public holidays. Hourly gold pours are held from 10am to 3pm weekdays and 10am to noon on weekends and public holidays. Experience the charming atmosphere of yesteryear. Entry to The Perth Mint Shop is free, while a small admission fee applies to the Gold Exhibition. 310 Hay Street (cnr Hill Street), East Perth Phone 9421 7223

OASIS SUPA GOLF
Play this unique golf game, in the beautiful Swan Valley. Invented and manufactured here in WA, the Oasis Resort constructed the first 18 hole course & offers great entertainment for all ages. The game consists of four oversized clubs & a much larger ball which is easier to hit but does not travel too far. The course layout is much the same as a traditional golf course, with obstacles like water traps, sand bunkers and trees. 10250 West Swan Rd Henley Brook Phone 9296 5566.

CAMEL RIDES
Take the most exotic ride available in Perth at Perth Outback Camels. Come along and marvel at these majestic animals, who once plied the outback regions of Western Australia. Take home some living memories of a time when the early settlers relied on the strength and endurance of the camel trains to carry their good and chattels along unmade desert tracks. More than just a camel ride, see the display of historic photos and find out how the inland was really discovered. Camel trains leave at 10.00am, 2.00pm and 4.30pm 7 days a week for a memory-provoking ride through the bush to the beach. Ask about courtesy bus pickup. Yanchep Beach Rd, Yanchep Phone 9561 1606
Feb 26th, 2005, 06:25 PM

Hi Jakarta, check this website out, it not only has a review of the Comfort Hotel, it also has a list of attractions and activities with links. http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-3364...h_city_hotel-i
Here's another: http://www.wotif.com/Comfort-Hotel-Perth-City.html

I don't know the cheapest car rental companies, but it is a good idea to get a car. The roads are easy to use here and things are a little spread-out. Try the internet. If you would like, you can email me on [email protected] and I may be able to help out with specifics.
Feb 27th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you guys are really helpful! This is the first time I've visited Fodors Forum and I'm really impressed with all the terrific information you've given us. Many thanks.
Feb 28th, 2005, 01:24 AM

Well let me say up front that I'm biased as I live in Perth. I've visited 53 countries and this is still the best place in the world to live. All the great sights seem to have been mentioned so I'll just add bayswater hire cars try perthweb.net.au

Also can recommend wotif.com for accommodation and the Youth Hostels Association yha.com.au if you want really cheap accommodation (incl family rooms) in great locations in the country areas.
Enjoy your visit.
Feb 28th, 2005, 02:27 AM

Hi DeeVah, wow, with so many travels under your belt, you should be on Virtual Tourist. I am a member there too. It is great because you get a homepage and email address. We are having a VT Lunch Meeting (7 of us so far) on Saturday at Hillary's Boat Harbour, would you like to join us? We all just like to meet other travellers, especially ones from Perth.
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

TAXES#%&%[email protected]#*&

Just found out about the HUGE taxes to travel to Australia. Our USD $295 tickets on Quantas have an additional tax on each ticket of $106. So, instead of costing around $1,100 for airfare for our family, it looks like 1,600. I'm totally bummed as that $500 was budgeted toward our stay in Perth.

What's the deal with such high taxes? I wouldn't mind paying $100, but $400 for a 6 day stay?
Mar 1st, 2005, 04:39 AM

Air travel within Australia is more expensive than flying out to another country, it hinders tourism by both foreigners and Australians. We hate it! Have you checked the price of Virgin Airlines, they are a budget carrier. The Australian Government slogs us big time on fuel too, regular petrol is over $1.00 per litre.

I hope you can still make it. There are a lot of low cost activities here.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:46 PM

Jakarta- Rottnest is also good for kids. It has beautiful beaches and there is a amusment place (I forget what it is called) that has putt putt golf, arcade games, movie theatre and trampolines. If you do want to go to Perth, take the train to City West (West Perth) and go to SciTech. The Perth Zoo and Kings Park are good if you are staying in Perth. Cottosloe is fun too.
Mar 4th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Just back from 3 weeks in Perth-- as a native put it "the best things in Perth cost nothing"-- the beaches are wonderful & free-- we loved City Beach-- the ocean is like bath water. Kings Park is great to explore. We stayed with my son, but look into "serviced apartments" if you are going with a family. We stayed in one last time we were there -- very inexpensive compared to a hotel, with kitchens so family can eat in if you want to. Try www.svtours.com.au for a winery tour. Rottnest is great for kids and families -- one poster seemed to imply there was an amusement park there, but I really don't think so... Rottnest is low-key, back to nature, comfortable -- we just loved it. I felt like I was transported back about 40 years ago, to a time when you could leave your doors unlooked, let your kids go out to play without fear, etc...