Search

Perth/ Margaret River and Albany

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perth/ Margaret River and Albany

Hi all,

I am travelling with my husband and two kids (4 and 2). We will be in Perth and region for 10 days.

Need some help with the planning.

Day 1- Arrive in Perth (9.45pm)
Check in City Waters - Can someone share how much will it cost to go to City Apt? By cab or public transport?

Day 2 - King's Park, WA Museum and Walkabout in Hay Street
How do I get to King's park using the public bus?

Day 3 - Pick up rental car and travel to Margaret River.
I have not booked a place yet? Any accommodation to recommend? Is the town center area a good place to use as the base to visit Busssleton/ Bunbury. Like to bring the children to the Dolphin Discovery Center? Can they interact with the dolphins there?

Day 4 - Visit different parts of MR eg. Lake caves and Jewel caves. Visit to the beach as well.

Day 5 - Sunflower Farm
Children fun time

Day 6 - Sunflower Farm/ Albany
children fun time

Day 7 - Travel to Albany
I am thinking of Emu point hotel. Is there any other recommendation?

Have not planned the rest of Day 7-10? Need help here.
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:32 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi gigtm -

There's a shuttle service that operates between the airport and most hotels in Perth. When I last checked, it was somehing like A$25 per person. Suggest you check to see if your hotel offers transfer services - if not, they can probably help you arrange the shuttle.

I'm not familiar with where your hotel is located, but I walked to Kings Park from our hotel - the Medina Grand - I'm sure your hotel can help with those details as well, but give yourself plenty of time in Kings Park - lots to do there.

The kids might also get a kick out of the Perth Mint.

Regarding Margaret River - since you'll have a car, I would suggest finding yourself a nice cottage/apartment on the outskirts of MR. Lodging right in town tends to be noisy, as many of them are on the main road. There are some great accommodation options in the area - this site has many suggestions -

www.margaretriver.com

We've stayed in Albany twice at the Foreshore Apartments - I'm not sure if they can accommodate families though. Loads to do in the SW - suggest you drive to Denmark/Walpole area and check out the tree top walk and the ancient empire. There's an alpaca farm that the kids might enjoy in Denmark and loads of other choices.

I'm traveling, so don't have access to my notes, but here are a few sites that might help you out a bit:

http://www.denmarkwa.asn.au/

www.albanytourist.com.au

Good luck with your planning. WA is a great place to visit.
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM

As usual, Melnq8 has some great advice.

- I also recommend taking the shuttle. Google "Perth airport shuttle" for information. When you arrive, you can ask at information at the airport on where to catch the shuttle. I saw on your hotel website that it is on the shuttle route. Price is 20-30AUD.

- Public bus; goggle "Transperth". This is the bus system in Perth. PerthCat are the buses in the free zone. We also walked from the CBD. You can also find train and ferry information on the site if you plan to go to Freemantle or the Perth Zoo.

- Margaret River; I'd check the site that Melnq8 posted. It is a great resource. It is easy to get around with a car. Busselton/Bunbury is a little bit of a drive from MR but MR would be fine or anywhere on the northern portion of the area.

- We went to Jewel cave and the beach areas. Very easy to get to. We stayed in a studio (no children allowed) just off Caves Road (Carter Road). I'd also recommend Eagles Heritage Raptor Center. They have captive eagles and owls that are interesting.

- In Albany - We rented an apartment at Balneaire Seaside Resort. It is not far from a beach but a little bit of a drive from the center of town. I think they have 2 bedroom apts available.

- I will also second the Valley of the Giants tree top walk in Walpole.

- The Wind Farm in Albany is interesting. For beaches Two Peoples is stunning.

Don't forget to check out the Western Australia Tourism site. I found it invaluable in planning our trip. www.westernaustralia.com

Enjoy your trip.
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:39 PM

We spent 6 days driving in this area a couple of weeks ago and stayed at the Margaret River townhouse for two nights. It is one street back from the main road and within easy walking distance of eating places, galleries etc.

http://www.margaret-river-online.com...ouse/index.htm

Its a well fitted out apartment with one bedroom downstairs and two upstairs - I notice your children's ages, so may not be suitable? Have a look anyway.

We also stayed at Karri Valley Chalets near Pemberton - the children will love seeing the emus, roos and kookaburras in front of the cottages if you stay there. It's a great family palce to stay.

Enjoy your time in this special region.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM

Dolphin Discovery Centre Bunbury: The kids can interact with the dolphins there if, and ONLY IF, the dolphins decide to come to the beach that day and you're there during that particular half hour or so. These are wild animals, they do what they want, they aren't trained. They don't come daily, and you never know when. Chances seem to be best in the morning. Tell your kids from the beginning that this is a question of good or bad luck, there is no guarantee at all.
BTW, I'd stay in Bunbury that night so that you can be at the center early.

Do I have to mention that we weren't lucky?

Take your time and consider doing the boat tour at 11 a.m. out into the bay. Chances to see dolphins are much, much better from the boat.

South Coast/Albany area:
Do you want a dream beach for small kids - sandy ground, crystal clear, calm, shallow water, no waves...? Consider Green's Pool and Elephant Bay in William Bay National Park, West of Denmark. Granite rocks form a barrier so that the waves don't reach the beach, behind them you'll have a wonderful and safe natural pool. The rocks are washed round by water and sand, they look like a herd of elephants taking a bath. A beautiful coastline.
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:06 AM

We traveled to Margaret River several years ago when our kids were smaller and stayed the the Redgate Farmstay: http://www.redgatefarmstay.com.au/index.html.

Great, clean self-catering cottage, excellent location and the kids loved the added attraction of the animals. I'd highly recommend it.