Penguins in Otago/Dolphins in Auckland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'm leaving for New Zealand in 2 1/2 weeks and have noticed that there are several options to see the Penguins on the Otago Peninsula (outside Dunedin). Can anyone tell me if they've done anything with any of these companies and which ones are the best? 1. Nature's Wonders: yellow eyed penguins, fur seals, cormorants, birds (in an 8 wheel drive Argo) 2. Penguin Place: loads of info on the internet about this one. 3. Albatross colony 4. Monarch wildlife cruise including Penguin Reserve.

Also, I'd really like to go on the dolphin watch outside Auckland, but can only fit it into my schedule the day I arrive. I am coming from LA and arriving Auckland at 6 am. Though I'd like to take a nap, I don't know that I'll be able to check into the hotel early. Still, besides the 9:30 am trip, there is a 4 pm trip. Has anyone done this and is the boat trip really rocky or is it doable after an 18 hour flight?

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
ALF

We've been to Penguin Place and the Royal Albatross colony. I'd recommend both. At Penguin Place, they have erected blinds that allow you to get very close to the yellow-eyed penguins. The Royal Albatross colony is way out on the tip of the Peninsula, which would be impressive even if there weren't any birds there. It was great to see these enormous birds catching the updrafts on the cliff faces and drift right by you.

I can't compare these two places with any of the others you have listed, as the above were the only ones we did on the Otago Peninsula.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:34 AM

It's nine years since I was there. I just booked a day trip - took me to both the Albatross colony and to see the Penguins (late afternoon).

Great - but can't remember the name of the company.

I think you guys sometime stress out too much about booking everything in advance - just sort it out when you arrive. Do you never think there might be companies with less visibility on the net - smaller, more local, and quite possibly better?
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. But I'm going to be on a Kirra tour and those were the 3 companies listed on their "independent" tour list (as compared to the actual tour route, so I figured those are the choices we're going to have once we arrive.

The Nature's Wonders tour, from what I've seen on their website, looks fantastic, and different, but most everything I've seen posted about people travelling in to the area is about Penguin Place. In fact, it's run by a local family and it takes you in a land/sea vehicle across their farmland. Sounded interesting. They say that they see penguins, seals, and assorted birds. The Monarch Wildlife cruise looked good too, but it's sightseeing from the water and I'm going to be doing so much of that elsewhere that I'm just trying to find alternatives. And I was curious to know if anyone had done any of these things to see what might be the best way to go.

Any help, appreciated.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:27 AM

Re seeing the dolphins in Auckland, while I've never been on a tour boat before as I live in the city, but I can tell you that the Hauraki Gulf is very weather dependent - some days it is flat as a mirror and other days ferry trips on it are cancelled!! I would wait until you arrive, see how the weather is and decide on the day. Poor weather is not a great time to see marine mammals and you are unlikely to enjoy it much either!! Catherine
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Gavrielle

I live in Auckland and did the dolphin trip last summer - it was completely fantastic and we even saw a whale! The Hauraki Gulf is more sheltered than the open sea would be - having said that, we're currently having a windy El Nino summer. On the third hand, the boats they use are a reasonable size. I wasn't aware of any boat movement at all when I did the trip. I think you'd probably have to be extremely sensitive to water movement to have a problem. And a trip on the harbour would be a wonderful antidote to jetlag!

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:16 AM

I think you'll find that you will be more tired later on in the day of arrival than in the morning, so I would try for the 9:30 tour. Your hotel should allow you to at least drop your bags off even if you can't use the room, but I found that many of the hotels are accommodating to the early international arrivals.

If you search for Melissa's thread on penguins, you'll see lots of comments on penguin options. I've done both Penguin Place, Elm Wildlife tour, and the Albatross Center on different occasions. A couple on my recent Elm tour really liked the Mon ach cruise because it took them close to the Albatross colony from the ocean side. I'm not familiar with Nature's Wonder. Melissa commented that several of the beaches on the Otago Peninsula are closed because of a disease affecting the penguin chicks. So definitely check everything out in advance before sending money.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:18 AM

PS I just topped her thread, click on Melissa5 and you will find tons of trip planning advice.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 09:54 AM

I just posted on Melissa's site about penquins molting in March. You might want to check with locals when you are on site to check on conditions and whether or not our feathered friends are receiving guests. When they are molting, they look miserable.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Just back from my trip to NZ and just wanted to add that I did end up going on the Nature's Wonders penguin tour outside Dunedin--it was fantastic!

It is run by a local family who take you onto their extensive property, which is just up the hill from the Albatross Center.

They ride you around the property in 8 wheel ATVs and take you to the points of interest.

There is a large fur seal colony at the first stop. At the second stop you can see the yellow eyed penguins (we saw 4) from a lookout over a white sanded beach. There are also smaller doors that they opened up to reveal 2 little blue penguins. We were allowed to photograph the yellow-eyed, but not the blue penguins, as they were in closer range and the family does not wish to disturb the wildlife as they are interested in sharing and conserving more than exploiting.

I spoke personally with Perry Reid, the owner of the property, and he was very friendly and accomodating as well. His children drive the ATVs out with him, and his wife works in the store.

For more info, check out: http://www.visit-dunedin.co.nz/natures_wonders.html

As for the dolphins, I didn't get to go see them. I was way too jet lagged to get on a boat at any point the day I arrived, and I got back to Auckland too late in the morning on my last day to meet the boat. Some other time, I guess.

Thanks for all the help though.

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Actually just found Nature's Wonders own website. It can be located at: http://www.natureswondersnaturally.com/aboutus1.html

Just wanted to share.